Building New Studio... Help!!

studiogenocide

Sorry guys, I posted this in the wrong section. Here it is reposted (is there such a word?).

I am building a recording studio in two weeks. It is a 16 x 28 building, and will have 2 interior walls completely isolating the rooms from one another (just imagine the building in sections). One room, the recording "booth", will be an area of about 6' x 16', and that is if I decide not to cut it in half and have two recording booths of 6' x 8'. Does anyone have any good ideas on insulation techniques (double roll or foamboard) or how to better finish the walls (spray foam, etc.). We are very excited about this project and am looking forward to some user feedback. It has been over four years since I posted anything here! Thanks!

Also, if anyone has any recording booth tricks they might want to share, that would be cool too. I will be happy to post some pics after we get finished!

-Michael

you are awfully late looking for advice!
Two weeks out from beginning construction is not the time to do research!
I advise putting off construction 3 - 6 months so you can get some input on some potentially costly, dysfunctional, and dangerous mistakes you may be about to make.
my two cents.
I'll mention one thing - 16 X 28 ?
Best keep it as one room, that's almost a usable size. Cut it into little pieces and you are going to regret it, and it will be much harder to live with as well as being difficult to deal with the acoustics.
C>

you are awfully late looking for advice!
Two weeks out from beginning construction is not the time to do research!
I advise putting off construction 3 - 6 months so you can get some input on some potentially costly, dysfunctional, and dangerous mistakes you may be about to make.
my two cents.
I'll mention one thing - 16 X 28 ?
Best keep it as one room, that's almost a usable size. Cut it into little pieces and you are going to regret it, and it will be much harder to live with as well as being difficult to deal with the acoustics.
C>

Mine is 16x25, and is quite usable. I agree that the OP should postpone construction until he has a solid grasp of what he wants to do and how he's going to do it.

Hi Creep - sorry if I implied that size studio was not usable - (I was being a little sarcastic)
IMHO, and personal experience, 30 X 28 was almost enough room.
I'd kill for 16 X 24 - I have 11 X 11! (and yes, it is usable, but you gotta be close friends to have more than two people in there.)
I am basing this from the approach of recording/rehearsing a live 5 piece band; ymmv if you are into keyboards, rap, etc.
cheers
C>

Mine is 16x25, and is quite usable. I agree that the OP should postpone construction until he has a solid grasp of what he wants to do and how he's going to do it.

Mine is also 16 x 25, and also quite usable. Even though I occasionally record others, my goal was to create a space for me to record me. So one big room is all I ever wanted. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Thanks for the input guys. Actually, I have done a lot of thinking and research (4 years worth) about what I wanted in a studio. I am recording acoustic guitar and vocals in my little recording booth(s). Everything else is digital (drums, electric, etc.) so it is actually going to be pretty simple. Yes, I really want the total isolation, at the very least for the 6 x 16 room, and you know it has to have that cool window so I can see inside, right! :)

If you are going to split it up, at least split it up so all rooms are asymmetric, that is, don't create rectangles or squares, make the walls irregular.

Back