Building my first studio (HELP!)

Grimm Holiday

I just purchased a Tascam 22-4. My ideal setup is getting it onto my laptop to the masses. Haha.

I need a mixer and an ADC.

I can use the Tascam 16x08 as a preamp and an ADC. (unless there are better ADC options out there?)

I have about $400-500, mayyybe $600 for a mixer.

What mixer do I choose? Any off the top of your head? What do you use?

I'll be needing 8 tracks minimum.

I'm a rookie at this stuff & would truly appreciate the help!!

Well recently, I've had a similar question based on my studio revamp, and I'm not (as a result of the conversation here) going to have a mixer at all. I have one of your interfaces, although I'm going to use another simply because mine has developed an annoying driver issue - my setup's problem not the Tascam. I'm removing the mixer simply because the interface has enough inputs for practically everything I do, and if I needed mega inputs, I'm bring out an old mixer.

I'm reluctant to change, being ancient, but others pointed out that all the things a mixer does can be done in the software, and all I'm using it for is a historic need to have a 'box'. In fairness, it's a good point. A cubase template for me will open a mixer window where all my sources come up, so wasting studio space is pointless, and I do all my mix down stuff on the screen with automation so a pile of manual faders is really just history now. Your 22-4 will go into the interface happily, so the only reason for a hardware mixer is just because you fancy one, not need one. If you're happy with the retro kit, then you might want loads of faders for the historic thing - I get that, but I've discovered, reluctantly, that I really don't need a mixer!

A little table top TEAC/Tascam,Soudcraft,Peavey etc..can come in handy for grouping,effect sends/returns,headphone mixes and monitoring.
The added flexibility with a hybrid setup might be worthwhile.
Pretty damn cheap on the used market.

G

Well recently, I've had a similar question based on my studio revamp, and I'm not (as a result of the conversation here) going to have a mixer at all. I have one of your interfaces, although I'm going to use another simply because mine has developed an annoying driver issue - my setup's problem not the Tascam. I'm removing the mixer simply because the interface has enough inputs for practically everything I do, and if I needed mega inputs, I'm bring out an old mixer.

I'm reluctant to change, being ancient, but others pointed out that all the things a mixer does can be done in the software, and all I'm using it for is a historic need to have a 'box'. In fairness, it's a good point. A cubase template for me will open a mixer window where all my sources come up, so wasting studio space is pointless, and I do all my mix down stuff on the screen with automation so a pile of manual faders is really just history now. Your 22-4 will go into the interface happily, so the only reason for a hardware mixer is just because you fancy one, not need one. If you're happy with the retro kit, then you might want loads of faders for the historic thing - I get that, but I've discovered, reluctantly, that I really don't need a mixer!

Great info, thanks a lot Rob. Also thanks for the mic tips in my other thread. I'm likely going to get two SM57's so I can experiment with recording two mic's at once. I've never used a mixer, ever, in my life, and so you guessed it right when you say that it is a historic thing, and I would really dig using the faders, haha, just for kicks. I've been mixing in my DAW, and while there's so many options, I'd like something that is a little limiting. Standard, that I can learn the roots of before I start getting into the intricate nitty gritties. Cheers!

A little table top TEAC/Tascam,Soudcraft,Peavey etc..can come in handy for grouping,effect sends/returns,headphone mixes and monitoring.
The added flexibility with a hybrid setup might be worthwhile.
Pretty damn cheap on the used market.

G

I'll keep checking craigslist daily then! Thanks G. I'm a little worried about buying used gear though, as I am a rookie, and don't know exactly what to look for, that is, I don't trust my judgement at the end of the day, sadly. Haha, not at this point, anyway. I'm looking into Soundcraft decks on Amazon at the moment.

Back