Build Monitoring Room or Live Room?

joswil44

I have a detached 2 car garage that is probably around 400 square feet, plus has an additional office with bathroom in the back.

I currently Record Drums in the Office with a snake that goes to my house. It has carpeted walls but I plan to do some better sound treatment at some point. Its about 8'x12' with 8'to9' ceiling.

There is also a Window and an AC unit and ceiling fan in the Office. I am lucky to have a Sound Wall behind me and lots of space between neighbors. So I am good as far as noise goes with this room.

I am planning to build a room inside of my garage about 12'x16' with 7' ceiling and am wondering whether to make it my Control/Mixing/Monitoring Room, or turn it into a Live/Iso Room and make the office the Control Room.

My office holds large drum sets fine and is large enough to hold a full band if needed.

My main concern is what the best results will be and which is more crucial.

Build a better constucted and treated Monitoring/Mixing Room?

Or a build a better constructed and treated Live/Iso Room?

I was leaning towards making it a Monitoring/Mixing Room because it seemed like the most crucial element.

I would like to hear some opinions on this.

I have attached a basic drawing of my garage and layout.

Attachments

• Garage.jpg
    Garage.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 103
Freedom is the right of all sentient beings.

From the look of the layout, and just based on size, I would think that the garage section would be the main recording area and the office space in the back would be for post production. But there are a lot of factors to consider, obviously. Comfort and personal preference have a lot to do with it. So if you like the sound of your drum recordings from the office room, I'd say you should continue recording there. It's all about what sounds good to you.

With the new room, you've got all three parts to recording a great song:

• Live Band Recording
  • Post Production Vocals
  • Mix/Mastering

Of course, all three of those are often consolidated in different ways. If your Live Band Recording is controlled well, you'll have more control at the mixing desk after the band session. ...Thus, the need for sound treatment and control (drum mics, gobos, etc.) in the live room. You can add more voices and effects later and even move or eliminate stuff like, slide a kick to just the right spot or copy a good hat from the beginning of a song to cover up a missed hat, etc.

I usually do mix mastering through headphones, then after that listen to the rough mix through some linear stereo response nearfields, and then run it through my PC speakers with a sub, and then sample my levels everywhere... from my car, my mp3player, the kitchen CD player, to my friend's house... etc. and then go back and remaster anything I didn't like and do it all over again.

:D

Last edited:
why are you putting that room in the middle?

thereare some awesome designs on the sae site,,, perfect 4 ur space. i can't search for yasince i'mbottle feeding my 6 wk old...

Back