bought a house: new space to work with

cstockdale

supafly killa homey
I posted here some time ago regarding a rental house I lived in, but recently I have moved and have bought a house. I have attached a diagram of the space I have. This is in a basement, and the height is 8ft.

NOTES:

1) heavy black lines are the exterior walls of the house. Concrete, and on the inside are framed with 2x2, insulated with rigid fibreglass, and covered in a single sheet of drywall.

2) Pink lines indicate walls being built. Location/angle of these walls is not flexible! These walls are being built as follows (going outside to inside)
drywall-2x4 framing- air space filled with pink fibreglass - 2x4 framing-drywall. These should help keep the studio/jam noise out of the rest of the house.

3) Ceiling is stucco on drywall over framing that will be filled with blown-insulation to minimize noise from upstairs.

4) The black line wall between the control room and the iso/booth is already there. Currently it is 2 sheets of drywall over 2x4 framing with the sheets of drywall facing the control room. Inside the iso/booth it is just bare framing.

5) Flooring is linoleum on concrete, but I am thinking of putting laminate down over top of this.

6) Grey/blue lines are ideas for where to build additional framing with drywall to remove parallel wall issues, but I am totally open to suggestions.

7) Booth/iso: I was thinking of putting in an additional ceiling with an airspace between the existing stucco, and then hanging acoustic tile, or possibly framing with drywall. I would like to be able to CRANK amps in this room and not totally blow people away upstairs.

Help?

Attachments

• studio design.JPG
    studio design.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 41
cstockdale said:
These walls are being built as follows (going outside to inside) drywall-2x4 framing- air space filled with pink fibreglass - 2x4 framing-drywall. These should help keep the studio/jam noise out of the rest of the house.

I believe you want the insulation between the studs and an airspace in the middle. I don't know the effect of insulating the airspace.

6) Grey/blue lines are ideas for where to build additional framing with drywall to remove parallel wall issues, but I am totally open to suggestions.

Flip your control room left to right, so you can see into the iso room. Also make the control room symmetrical.

7) Booth/iso: I was thinking of putting in an additional ceiling with an airspace between the existing stucco, and then hanging acoustic tile, or possibly framing with drywall. I would like to be able to CRANK amps in this room and not totally blow people away upstairs.

Then you will be needing that drywall, maybe with some acoustic tile dropped from it (the tile for absorption not isolation).

I will check out the insulation in the airspace vs between the studs issue.. thanks

The reason the control room is configured the other way is that I mostly work alone, so I need to be able to see my PC monitors while tracking, therefore I need the monitors facing the iso room.

Also thanks for ceiling suggestion for iso room. I figure if I can can minimize bleed to the upstairs, having a room inside a double-walled room should be pretty effective at allowing me to play electric guitar without disturbing too many others in the house.

Back