boomy room

farodyssey

anybody know any effective and cheap ways to lower down the boominess of a recording room in the 200hz - 400hz zone? i have this horrible build-up/resonence in those frequencies in my room and it really ads up to some nasty mudiness in my mixes.

i put in auralex foam, difuser panels, and bass traps in this room and it worked out really well to kill a lof the echoing and reflections. but now i think because it has attenueted the higher frequencie so much, it's left this low boominess.

i want to put in more "padding" or maybe like a couch or some book shelves but i don't know if these kinds of things will make my problem worse. will the just attenuate more higher frequencies? what kinds of things absorb lower frequencies?

any suggestions?

What kind of bass traps are you using? Where are they placed? More than likely you need additional bass traps in the corners of your room--both where the walls meet each other and where the ceiling meets the walls.

i have the auralex corner foam types. two in each corner where the walls meet but none where the walls meet the ceiling. sounds like an alright idea but i haven't really noticed that much of a difference with the existing bass traps anyway.

Far,

> i think because it has attenueted the higher frequencie so much, it's left this low boominess. <

This is a common problem.

> what kinds of things absorb lower frequencies? <

Rigid fiberglass, or products made from it.

> any suggestions? <

One is my Acoustics FAQ:

www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

There's also a lot of good advice on my company's site, linked under my name below.

--Ethan

Back