Bob G's new DIY desk

homestudioguy

Just finished building a new desk.
Materials cost was about $150 before rack rails and staining/painting.
99% of all materials came right off the shelves at Lowes.
Not many angled cuts on this one!
I had the desk design pretty well mapped out on paper before the actual construction but there were some sections that were designed/made as the construction progressed, as always. Welcome to DIY!
One of the best things with this desk is the lower Monitor shelf for my iMac.
It works really well with my Progressive Lensed Eyeglasses so no more neck and shoulder pain.

2020desk01.jpg

2020desk02.jpg

2020desk03.jpg

Earlier Desks and projects:
$80DeskReduced.jpg
PDF50.jpg
Desk.jpg

Mixer Desk 3.jpg

PDF60.jpg

HSGFB.jpg

PDF85.jpg

Last edited:
I recently made a new desk for myself as well26 p2019 308.jpg

Through a strange quirk of coincidence, it is a very simlar design and colour to yours, though mine has less stuff in it.

I just loaded the desk pieces in my car to take to the storage unit. It was an RTA producer's desk still in the box. Super heavy. I tried for about a half hour to get it into the car until I finally uncrated it. I had hoped to salvage the packing material to be able to repack it at the storage place. Uh-unh. That ain't going to happen. it was triple boxed with the cheapest flimsiest corrugation possible. As carefully as I tried the diaphanous cardboard tore and then the bane of packing existence, that incredibly flimsy styrofoam they use. I don't know how but it is single use only and once you unpack it will never go back again. I gave up and unpacked it all and now I have about a dozen slippery loose pieces to schlep to the storage unit. Bah humbug. I wish I had built my own.

I almost bought the RTA Producer a number of times but I just didn't like the design as it was not practical for my use.
It's a great concept but it needs to be a bit wider overall with a wider keyboard drawer for a MUSIC keyboard along with some other mods.
It looks to me like an office furniture person designed it.
FWIW, I built the desk in photo #1 in 2009 for only $50.
I sold build plans for it for many years and desks in photos 2-6 were built using them.
Desk #2 was built by the drummer, Rikki Rockett, of the Rock Band, "Poison".
Desk #3 was built J.C. Richardson who is the sound designer and sound engineer for the Cartoon "Archer".
I built the Desk #4 for a good friend here in Illinois, Desk #5 was built by a guy from Scotland and Desk #6 was built by a guy in the Philippines.
Long story short, it doesn't take a lot of money to build something practical with a lot of work surface.

1:
PDF50Modded.jpg
2:
PDF50RRokket.jpg
3:
PDF50JCRich.jpg
4:
PDF50JeffG.jpg
5:
PDF50ColinH.jpg
6:
PDF50ChrisMalay.jpg

Last edited:
Bob G! Good to see you on here. The new desk.....beautiful.
Please let me know if you get the plans site back up and going.

Back