blue bear and anyone else in the business full time

foreverain4

what do you guys do for health insurance and such? how much does it cost? i just put in my two weeks today. kinda a scary thing, but it is really the only thing i can do to generate more income in the studio. i dont have enough hrs in the day for all the work i have. anyway, any help would be appreciated...

hmmm... well in my situation I was able to piggy-back off my wife's policy for a modest monthly fee...

I don't think there's a universal answer to this as everyone's situation/options will be different.

Depending on your corporate organization, (I'm going to assume you'll be setup as a sole proprietor) you'll be able to deduct from your income the cost of the coverage. You'll have to set up the plan on your own, through an insurance broker or planner.

if you're in really good health and not looking to spend a buttload on coverage, you may want to consider an arrangement that gives you major medical coverage with a high deductable, and then join some medical discount network for when you have to see the doctor or get a prescription.

Ben

I've been self-employeed for years. (Though not in studio operations) Any reputable insurance provider will tailor a policy for you.
I use BlueCross & BlueSheild.
To cover myself, my wife, and 2 kids is like $200-$250/month. There's cheaper plans and there's more costly plans.
Shop around and pick one that's best for you.

That same BC/BS plan in Kentucky with an 80/20 and the usual $500 deductible in all areas, is about $225/week.
Kentucky sucks for insurance and is only getting worse. The last couple of years have had typically 20% increases in premiums and providers bailing out of the state.

add to that the pay scales around here... :(

Michael Jones said:
I use BlueCross & BlueSheild.
To cover myself, my wife, and 2 kids is like $200-$250/month. There's cheaper plans and there's more costly plans.
Shop around and pick one that's best for you.

That's dirt cheap. Do you have a high deductible for visits? My company was paying almost $400 just for me and my daughter and neither of us have any health issues. For just me it was around $200.

Back