begginer needing help..please advice

50shellz

hello, i have posted this in the computer recording section of the forusm but ithink it belongs hre so im going to post it again, ok well today i found out the echo from my microphone was coming from my room since its kinda empty/big so its bringing echo to my room...all that i record is just vocals for rap songs, i have a $150 condensor mic(marshalls MXL2003) And A Mic PreAmp With Phantom Power(ART) , i have my studio monitors and my mixer coming in the mail, studio monitors where Samson 50a Monitors(Pair), got them at $200 flat..and the mixer is a behringer UB1002 10 input mixer, in which i am going to use now to connect both the mic and the studio monitors, as well, i also have a Emu0404 Coming in the mail, i barely ordered that today as my soundcard isnt good(computer stock) but heres my question.. i noticed when i am recording using this mic(used to record on cheap computer mic before), it picks up echo, so i am looking for advice on what i can do to reduce echo n' all, i am willing to spend but not tooo much ya know? lemme know on what can work good that i can do to my room to reduce echo's or any other advice..thanks...all help is appreciated...willing to try different things to see what works best..cuz right now most my recordings i do i end up sounding like robotic ish cuz of the echo

~Eric~

ok, after reading around alot on this site, im guessing building a small vocal booth in my room will be a good idea & cheapest..woudlnt it? i dont sleep in my room, i just have my computer n' set up in here n' use it to record, so im willing to build a vocal booth if nessicary to remove all this echo on the recordings and get clearer/better recordings...and as i said before, no instruments or nothing, im just using this to make rap songs..vocals only...please advise everyone, i think....the booth will be best but have no idea on building that at all etc..so everyone, advice please..really need this help and am really serious on this..not just asking for non sence :)..and as the title siads..im a begginer.

~Eric~

another question..does anyone know of any sites where u can build your own little vocal recording booth? like, from start to end, cuz i think it'll be pretty cool if i could build one in my room, but have no idea how to do it, i am willing to spend on it but looking for a good/cheap way to build one..my room is a mid sized room..so im looking to build maybe a vocal booth like in one of the corners of my room..if anyone can help...please do so..thanks.

Can you give us the dimensions of your room? Do you have carpet, bare floor, concrete, we got to start somewhere. What are the walls made of and the celing too. Echos are common in rooms with little or nothing to stop the sounds from bouncing off smooth flat surfaces. Absorbent panels are the easiest way to fix a room which echos too much. Carpet is a good addition too. Heavy drapes suspended an inch or two off the walls can reduce echo. There are lots of things you can do but we need to know what you have to start with. For rap (or any vocals) an isolation booth, closed acousticaly sound room for recording a single voice or a single instrument will prove to be a very usefull work space. Iso rooms vary in size, 3'X5' for one, possibly two people up to as big as you have for choral groupings. You also need to let us know if you plan to use live musicians and instruments or if your music will be midi. I know this sonds like I'm being picky but we need to know more about what you have to work with in order to help you get the results that you want.

ok well i do not yet have my room dimensions yet but i will have them up soon, and my room is just bare wooden floor, no carpet, wooden wall tiles..noise can come from downstairs int eh basement to my room from the floor as well...the ceiling is as well cheap n' sound goes through there, so imma have to build like a little booth in my room from top to bottom i guess..but as i said before, i am unsure how to do all this, i can pick up quickly but need step by step on what to do, what to start with, whats what, where to get the stuff etc..as i said..im a begginer to this and know hardly anything to build something like this..and I mainly plan to just make this a one person booth, but it would be nice to make it a little bigger as you said 2 people booth just in case...how much more would that cost? if its going to be pricey to extend the size..i'll stick wit one person since i mainly just need this as a one person for now, and no, its just vocals, the backround is all coming from beats on the computer(instrumentals) , i plan to do nothing with the mic other than record vocals on it...the ceiling it very cheap, its like some metal thin bars things that go across in sort of like a tic tac toe patter(overlaping each other) and those are the supports for the ceiling, the ceiling are like foam things..idk, its a very cheap ceiling in my room, idk why it was built like that..well, im willing to build the booth from feet to head, like make a surface and a top for the booth in which i think imm ahave to do, please let me know more info etc. , again, i know nothing about what your talking about when it comes to saying buy this buy that you could use this or that..please be sure to explain what you are sayin when advising so i can clearly understand.

and i am looking to make this booth atleast 4 feet by 7 feet , aroudn there, im going ot get the measurements of my room sometime tommorow..so, please advice on anything you can..once again, as a reminder..i am a begginer, so please fully explain all your saying..thanks...

okay, i just measured my room and its demensions are 10 x 10 ft , and from the floor to the ceiling it is 8 ft. 3 inches high....well, anyone who knows something, try'da help, im really serious on building this vocal booth but need you's to guide me or sumthin...thanks.

ok well, i am doing this now, i have a Wooden stick holding up to wooden beams on top so right now i have this is the corner..its 2 stickes against the corner so its making like a square shape in the corner of my room

and then on top i have a wooden board on top going from one side and then another wooden board on the other side and then both ends meet up while the other ends of the boards on mounted on the walls...so its sorta like a changing room type'a look, i made it as a good space to put the mic inside..i have one sheet that is kinda thick on one end but gotta pick up more soon...does anyone know anything i can use for the sides and the top that will help make the are sound more dead rather than covering all sides + top with sheets that are like 3cm thick....i am looking to put something that will make it more like a vocal booth for the sides/top, right now i just have the frame of it, like all the supports..need something for the sides, temp. im going ot use sheets that are a lil thick..but i am looking to make this a lil more like a vocal booth ish, something that will dead out noise more...please advise...thanks.

also, if anyone is lost and does not get it on how i have this set up, i will post picz later on if nessicary..

Cloth walls wont help you much. You need something really solid. A good strong framework, insulated well, covered with solid wall (sheet rock or thick ply wood) inside and out, don't forget the top, something similar to the sides for the top. You will need a door, a good solid one to stop as much sound as possible. A window would be nice, double or triple thickness and caulked well. Don't forget you will need some sort of ventalation, you have to breathe while in there. Carpet the floor. You might want to put a covering on part of the inside walls to cut down on the boominess, indoor/outdoor carpet glued to the walls works fairly well for this. I know this sounds like a lot of work but if you want a good iso booth it has to be a solid structure.

Back