Bedroom For Vocal Recording

Creepy Crawlies

I was going to use a Spare Bedroom that's unused at a relatives house for my Studio now I am thinking to just my Bedroom so I can record whenever.

Would adding Foam to the Walls all over 100% covered help in anyway? I will be recording in the Room using Gobos and a Portable Booth stand, should I add foam to the walls?

I know it isn't soundproofing.

If you'rre going to treat a room, you need broad band absorption. Bass frequencies are the most important and hardest to tame. Rigid fibreglass is the best, and some will say the only, way to treat a room. You almost can never have too much, especially in the corners.

The thing with foam is that it will simply kill all your high end, making it sound "deader", but not in a good way. Now, you have a muffled room with all the bass and low-mid reflections still flying around, making it even worse than no treatment at all.

I see a lot of people here don't like Foam. Is the Gobos the only thing needed then? If not what else?

I agree with Rami. It really depends on the acoustics of the room, Dimensions of the room, where are the relection points located and using materials in the right places to achieve the desired results. Above all else (IMO) having the right microphone for the vocalist can be just as important. Bass in the corners will always be a problem.

In some applications I've used only a pop filter in a carpeted open room 8'x10'. The room sounded great for the vocalist. However during another session (different vocalist) we used some Gobos and bass traps in the same room. During my last session with my current bands singer, we recorded a scratch vocal track in his bathroom, where his voice sounded amazing naturally.

your gobos will be providing your high-end coverage, so you don't have to treat the walls, but i would agree with others to put a bass trap in each corner of the room.

If you're just hoping to take some of the room sound out of the recording, then you'll be fine with some gobos...even foam will work okay. If you're looking to get a good room response more generally speaking, then you're beyond the purview of foam. If you're talking about *soundproofing* (mitigating or eliminating sound transmission between adjacent spaces), then you're talking about adding mass in the form of sheet rock, not to mention decoupling the extra mass from the existing structure. No foam, panels, 703, mineral wool or whatever will help at all with sound proofing unless it's part of a wall assembly.

Frank

Back