Bass Trap Using Knauf Rigid - Ethan??

DigitalDon

Well, nobody in this area carries the Owens-Corning 703 or 705. But I did find a place that stocks Knauf (OC 703 equivalent 3 pound) only in 2 inch with backing. Size is 2' x 4' and cost is about $12 each (ouch!!). I know I'll need a lot of these to balance out the rooms. Ethan- what kind of performance can I expect using this material in building the bass traps you describe in your paper or if I were to use it across the corners like in your paper? The two rooms are approximately 23' x 28' (live room) and 14' x 22' (control room). The live room has a cathedral suspended ceiling peaking at 13' and the control room has the same type ceiling peaking at 14'.

Michael, Rick or anyone else feel free to jump in :D :D :D

Thanks,
DD

Don,

> Size is 2' x 4' and cost is about $12 each (ouch!!). <

That is a little high, but not totally out of line. What, you want it for free? :)

> what kind of performance can I expect using this material in building the bass traps you describe in your paper or if I were to use it across the corners like in your paper? <

Which "paper?" A trap made of fiberglass alone is not at all the same as a trap made with a wood panel and a sealed box. Fiberglass alone is fine across a corner. With wood panel traps you're much better off putting two of them on the walls in each corner.

--Ethan

Thanks Ethan. The paper was "Acoustic Treatment and Design for Recording Studios and Listening Rooms" updated March 5, 2003. I understand (thanks to your paper) the difference in placing the insulation in the corner as opposed to building the airtight panels. I'm just curious about the performance of 2 inch Knauf "703" with paper/foil backing since that's all I can get here. I could order 1 inch "703" without the backing but they would charge me $155 in freight charges. The local supplier here says he always carries the 2 inch with backing because it's used to insulate square HVAC ducting.

Thanks,
DD

Don,

> I understand (thanks to your paper) the difference in placing the insulation in the corner as opposed to building the airtight panels. <

Okay, I just wanted to be sure I was clear.

> I'm just curious about the performance of 2 inch Knauf "703" with paper/foil backing since that's all I can get here. <

That's about the best stuff you can possibly get for a corner trap. And it's much better than 1-inch without the paper. So go for it!

--Ethan

DD, you think $12.00 is bad?!? I called a local place this morning. Said I had to buy atleast a palette (48 sheets) at $30-40 a pop! What a joke...gotta keep shopping!

BookSix said:
DD, you think $12.00 is bad?!? I called a local place this morning. Said I had to buy atleast a palette (48 sheets) at $30-40 a pop! What a joke...gotta keep shopping!

Look for a local place that supplies materials to the air conditioning/heating contractors. This is the stuff they put on rectangular ducts around here. Don't even waste your time on Home Depot, etc. They won't have a clue.

DD

Back