Thread: Bass Trap Using Knauf Rigid - Ethan??

Thanks

Bass Trap Using Knauf Rigid - Ethan??

Sign in to disable this ad
    Well, nobody in this area carries the Owens-Corning 703 or 705. But I did find a place that stocks Knauf (OC 703 equivalent 3 pound) only in 2 inch with backing. Size is 2' x 4' and cost is about $12 each (ouch!!). I know I'll need a lot of these to balance out the rooms. Ethan- what kind of performance can I expect using this material in building the bass traps you describe in your paper or if I were to use it across the corners like in your paper? The two rooms are approximately 23' x 28' (live room) and 14' x 22' (control room). The live room has a cathedral suspended ceiling peaking at 13' and the control room has the same type ceiling peaking at 14'.

Michael, Rick or anyone else feel free to jump in

Thanks,
    DD

Thanks

Lightbulb Re: Bass Trap Using Knauf Rigid - Ethan??

Don,

> Size is 2' x 4' and cost is about $12 each (ouch!!). <

That is a little high, but not totally out of line. What, you want it for free?

> what kind of performance can I expect using this material in building the bass traps you describe in your paper or if I were to use it across the corners like in your paper? <

Which "paper?" A trap made of fiberglass alone is not at all the same as a trap made with a wood panel and a sealed box. Fiberglass alone is fine across a corner. With wood panel traps you're much better off putting two of them on the walls in each corner.

--Ethan

Thanks
    Thanks Ethan. The paper was "Acoustic Treatment and Design for Recording Studios and Listening Rooms" updated March 5, 2003. I understand (thanks to your paper) the difference in placing the insulation in the corner as opposed to building the airtight panels. I'm just curious about the performance of 2 inch Knauf "703" with paper/foil backing since that's all I can get here. I could order 1 inch "703" without the backing but they would charge me $155 in freight charges. The local supplier here says he always carries the 2 inch with backing because it's used to insulate square HVAC ducting.

Thanks,
    DD

Thanks

Lightbulb

Don,

> I understand (thanks to your paper) the difference in placing the insulation in the corner as opposed to building the airtight panels. <

Okay, I just wanted to be sure I was clear.

> I'm just curious about the performance of 2 inch Knauf "703" with paper/foil backing since that's all I can get here. <

That's about the best stuff you can possibly get for a corner trap. And it's much better than 1-inch without the paper. So go for it!

--Ethan

Thanks
    DD, you think $12.00 is bad?!? I called a local place this morning. Said I had to buy atleast a palette (48 sheets) at $30-40 a pop! What a joke...gotta keep shopping!

Thanks
    Originally posted by BookSix
    DD, you think $12.00 is bad?!? I called a local place this morning. Said I had to buy atleast a palette (48 sheets) at $30-40 a pop! What a joke...gotta keep shopping!
    Look for a local place that supplies materials to the air conditioning/heating contractors. This is the stuff they put on rectangular ducts around here. Don't even waste your time on Home Depot, etc. They won't have a clue.

DD

Thread Information