Bass trap question

pinhedgtr

Processing
So I built some floor to cieling bass traps this weekend and they came out real nice. 3 of them are 2 ft wide by 7.5 ft. tall, I also built one that is only 1 ft wide by 7 ft. tall (because I have an AC unit like 10 inches from the corner). They are all 4" thick mineral wool and framed and covered with burlap.

My question is, Is having a 1 ft. wide bass trap in one of the corners gonna do any good at all? Will it affect a different range of frequencies?

Thanks for your help.

B

How big is the room and is the shorter-width bass trap in front of your listening position or behind?????????

My GUESS would be that if the narrower trap is behind you it should have less influence than if it was in front of you.

Yes it will be effective. As effective as a two foot wide trap? Of course not. OC703 panels are two foot by four foot because it is a standard dimension of a lot of building materials i.e. ceiling tiles. It is not a magical dimension for absorbency. I have a small bass trap above the door to my recording space because that was what fit there!

c7sus said:
How big is the room and is the shorter-width bass trap in front of your listening position or behind?????????

Thanks for the replies. The room is 19ft X 11ft. I have the monitors firing the long length of the room, and the shorter-width bass trap will be behind me when I'm mixing.

thanks again,
B

Oh yeah, one more question. I was reading about a PVA sealer that you can buy to spray on th mineral wool to keep it from floating around in the room. Is this neccessary, to seal these bass traps? Is there some other way to do this, cause I can't find this stuff locally? However, they are covered with burlap. Now I just need to build a cloud over the mixing station, and maybe some high freq absorbers at the reflection points. :D

thanks,
B

Another method is to use painters' plastic film-- the stuff 3M makes. IIRC it's like 1-2mil thick. It will reflect a bit more highs than untreated Rockwool, and absorb a bit less bass if covered with film or spray glue.

If they're covered in burlap I wouldn't worry about fibers getting loose. That only happens when the stuff is disturbed, and after you install the traps there shouldn't be any reason to move them.

My room is L-shaped, with my monitor position in the "dining room" and the vaulted ceiling of the living room behind me. The dining room is about 10' wide, and the room is about 24 feet deep. I don't use any treatment on the back wall. I have two free-standing gobos made up of 4 panels 42" w X 90" t X 6-8 " deep. I used 3-1/2 inches of 703 in 3 of the panels, and the fourth is a slot resonator tuned to 250Hz-- and extending an octave above and below 250Hz, filled with about 5-1/2" of 703.

They are setup at about a 45-degree angle in the corner and extend out to just shy of my listening position. I'm considering sliding them towards the back of the room maybe 12" or so, but right now I'm pretty happy with the imaging I'm getting. I have a nice tight sweetspot.

c7sus said:
I don't use any treatment on the back wall. I have two free-standing gobos made up of 4 panels 42" w X 90" t X 6-8 " deep. I used 3-1/2 inches of 703 in 3 of the panels, and the fourth is a slot resonator tuned to 250Hz-- and extending an octave above and below 250Hz, filled with about 5-1/2" of 703.

They are setup at about a 45-degree angle in the corner and extend out to just shy of my listening position. I'm considering sliding them towards the back of the room maybe 12" or so, but right now I'm pretty happy with the imaging I'm getting. I have a nice tight sweetspot.

Damn that's a sweet idea, having some mobile bass traps, does it seem to shorten the room when you move them close behind you to mix? I could use those as some isolation as well when recording the drums with the rest of the band. Now you got me thinking. Did you make those yourself?
I was doing the clapping test last night and I hear some echo going on after I clap. Is a diffusor the way to kill that echo? Also we're gonna practice tonight so I guess I'll hear how well those Bass Traps will do.

Thanks for the help c7sus!

B

Back