Bass Trap question

No...these are too malleable to absorb bass vibrations. they only absorb high frequencies..you need a proper bass trap from companies like auralex. OR, if ur on budget, read the Ethan Winer articles...you will learn everything there.

Not auralex. You get better results for cheaper with 4-6" rigid fiberglass mounted in th corner, and yeah check out ethans advice

Auralex's lenrd bass traps are so outragiously expensive, and they don't yield any better results than home-made traps. In reality, they're probably worse.

If you where to take that stuff and stack it from floor to ceiling in all corners of the room is will work pretty well. But as the other guys are saying you are much better off with 4 or more inch rigid fiberglass straddling corners in the room..

Glenn

If you have the luxury of a 12-24" deep cavity, the 'fluffy stuff' can actually work very well. But in a resonable thickness, it won't do much for bass control.

bpape said:
If you have the luxury of a 12-24" deep cavity, the 'fluffy stuff' can actually work very well. But in a resonable thickness, it won't do much for bass control.

Will those pink insulation wool be any good for high frequencies?

The pink stuff should work well on mid and high frequencies, but usually there isn't a huge problem with high frequencies in a room. It tends to be the lower frequencies that cause the problems.

Exactly. For high frequencies it will work fine. For bass, you need a certain amount of resistance - you get that by a combination of thickness and density. More density (to a point), the less thickness is required. 4" is usually the minimum - 6" is better for good bass control.

Well, i just got my KRK RP5's...before buying it, i heard these in the store..which had awesome acoustic treatment in the listening room. these monitors sounded so much better there. its sounding hollow and empty in my room. i dont have any acoustic treatment in my room...except a large carpet and pieces of pink mineral wool on the walls. any advices to get that sound from the monitors?

4" of something like 6-8lb mineral wool will work well as a bass absorber.

6" of 703 will also work well - if not better.

4" of fluffy fiberglass won't be as effective in the lower bass. At 12" it starts working pretty well down to about 90-100Hz. At 24", it's very effective down pretty low.

Just remember to keep both the density and thickness in mind.

At a minimum - but realistically, you'd be money and performance ahead to make twice as many 2'x4' 4 or 6" thick and cover more corner space. 4'x8' straddling the corner is getting a bit far out to be considered a 'corner'.

Spreading things out a bit also bring additional benefits by hitting the same waves multiple times as they bounce around the room.

Bryan

bpape said:
4" of something like 6-8lb mineral wool will work well as a bass absorber.

6" of 703 will also work well - if not better.

4" of fluffy fiberglass won't be as effective in the lower bass. At 12" it starts working pretty well down to about 90-100Hz. At 24", it's very effective down pretty low.

Just remember to keep both the density and thickness in mind.

I understood that 8lb behaves less well in the LF because of grazing - sound hitting at an angle.

http://forum.studiotips.com/viewtopic.php?t=2125&highlight=grazing

If you're using it for first reflections, i.e. sound hitting at a 90 degree angle, it should work great. But for traps, a lower density mineral wool like 2.5 pcf might perform better in the LF.

However, I don't know this to be true from experience - only from reading what people way smarter than me wrote about it.

> I understood that 8lb behaves less well in the LF because of grazing - sound hitting at an angle. <

No, you have it backwards. But in practice, higher densities are fine for first reflections too. I tested this recently at the first reflection points in my living room system, and you can see that 705 does a fine job in the before / after graph below.

--Ethan

rfz-response.gif

Back