Bass Trap Q

Have you tried making them yourself? There's a lot of great videos on how to on youtube. In the same amount of money you can get a lot more bass traps if you make them yourself.

Hi Saads,
yeah, I've thought about it but I still have a guitar I started to rebuild in 1993 downstairs & in peices with the body only 1/2 sanded back. I also have a pair of AR4 speakers I bought attenuator/crossover upgrades for 3 years ago with the old gear cut out but nothing put back in. I'm not any good at DIY, I reach a hurdle I can leap over at 1st go & I just get up & go elsewhere.
It's for this reason I'm sussing out these particular traps - they're in Australia & will deliver complete with INSTRUCTIONS I ought to be able to follow.
I do hope to stretch myself as far as making a cloud for the celing - I have a large (1.5 x 0.75 m) stretched canvas painting I bought that is too large for the walls so thought I'd pack the back with rockwool or something & suspend it (with some help from a friend) in the reflection zone of the ceiling.
That is probably a pipe dream though.
The traps are needed as after only a short while my recording/mixing room builds up bass quite alarmingly.

They work, but compressed fiberglass works too, and for less money.

They've got to have rockwool or mineral wool where you're at, Ray, if not some 703 or equivalent, don't they? :confused:

IIWY, I'd score rockwoll and make up some triangles to stack floor to ceiling in the corners, leaving three or four inches of space between the wall and the 'wool. You can cover with a frame of light wood and burlap.

To make the triangles, take a sheet of rockwool, and cut it in half with a serrated knife. An electric carving knife works perfectly. You should now have two squares instead of one rectangle.

Take each square and cut it diagonally into two triangles. You're done. You'll see immediately how 703 is easier to stack than rockwool, which is still kind of fluffy. Being patient with your cuts will go a long way towards getting them to stay afloat while you're building up.

You should be using rockwool in the 3.5-8 pounds per cubic foot range.

These types of traps would whup ass up on some foam.

They work, but compressed fiberglass works too, and for less money...

...you should be using rockwool in the 3.5-8 pounds per cubic foot range.

These types of traps would whup ass up on some foam.

The problem with foam bass trapping is that it's so inefficient that you need a TON of it to do anything worthwhile, and by that time you've thrown the decay times way out of balance because foam absorbs about as much at 4Khz as it does at 125Hz. I know you're not a build-it-yourself kind of guy, but it really will be worth the effort.

Frank

Ok Weasle & Supercreep,
I've made contact with a rockwool supplier in my state & am getting dimensions, contents of a "pack" and costs (incl delivery). I'll have to annoy you more when i have a better idea of where I'm going. Given the gap from wall etc I'll have to move some stuff in my studio space.
Oh, 1 big Q: how do a trap a corner that has a door abutting it?

Ok Weasle & Supercreep,
I've made contact with a rockwool supplier in my state & am getting dimensions, contents of a "pack" and costs (incl delivery). I'll have to annoy you more when i have a better idea of where I'm going. Given the gap from wall etc I'll have to move some stuff in my studio space.
Oh, 1 big Q: how do a trap a corner that has a door abutting it?

The easiest way to do that, depending on how much room you have, is to do a panel trap there instead of a superchunk. You'll place the panel so that it's straddling the corner at a shallower angle to make it fit in the space between the corner and the door. It's not as good as a perfect straddle, but it'll work just fine. Heck of a lot better than nothing.

Frank

Do I build the traps floor to ceiling?
The rockwool I can get my hands on comes as:
densities of 60kg, 80kg, 100kg & 150kg/M3.
thicknesses available are 50mm & 75mm.
size is 1200mm x 600mm.
(easy enough to 1/2 then cut diagonally as described by Supercreep & should be OK for the door corner panel I guess)
What do I opt for?

Do I build the traps floor to ceiling?

In the corners, always if it's possible. For the rest of the room, not necessary...just build them 2'x4' (60x120cm) and place them so that the center of the panel is at tweeter level.

The rockwool I can get my hands on comes as:
densities of 60kg, 80kg, 100kg & 150kg/M3.
thicknesses available are 50mm & 75mm.
size is 1200mm x 600mm.

What do I opt for?

Go with 60kg/m3, 50mm then create 100mm and 150mm panels out of them. 50mm thick panels are great for high frequency work, and you may need some of them later, but not right off the bat. The 100 and 150mm panels will do all the low frequency work you'll need first.

Frank

Back