Bass Trap Construction Question

soldierone

the future is amazing...
I'm currently in the process of building a new room for a small studio in my garage. I'm nearly finished with the framing, and I've found out that I've got a pretty decent surplus of 2x4 studs that I'm considering making some panels out of. Has anyone here used 2x4s for bass trap frames, and if so, I'm curious as to what the results of the panels were. I'm a big fan of using what you've got at your disposal to make things work, so I'm hoping that that this idea of mine might have some merit.

I'm pretty sure it's mostly depth and surface area of the fuzzy stuff. :D Other than perhaps the added weight of 2x4's, maybe beign overkill, I bet a frame's a frame?

That's kind of what I'm hoping the case will be... I've also played around with the idea of putting ports of sorts along the sides of the frame to cut down on weight and add more direct exposure to the insulation. I'm not sure if it's necessary to do so, or if it will improve my results, but it's an idea none the less.

i would say that yes, ports might be a good idea. I made my own frames using 2x4's and it did get quite heavy. They also sucked to store when i wasn't using them. So much so, that i scrapped that and ended up mounting them straight to my wall using fender washers and covering with burlap.

i would say that yes, ports might be a good idea. I made my own frames using 2x4's and it did get quite heavy. They also sucked to store when i wasn't using them. So much so, that i scrapped that and ended up mounting them straight to my wall using fender washers and covering with burlap.

Yeah, I'm totally planning on mounting these to the walls permanently, so storage won't be so much of an issue. :)

2x4 lumber would be fine...the traps are going to be heavy as heck though. Might be hard to install them even using sheet rock anchors.

Frank

2x4 lumber would be fine...the traps are going to be heavy as heck though. Might be hard to install them even using sheet rock anchors.

Frank

Since I've currently got the room down to the studs, I've got a lot of options for mounting them, even if that means adding reinforcement to the walls before installing the sheetrock.

Back