Bass Trap Construction

Brian01

Ok, we stopped the highs with lots of foam and what not, now I am reading about low mids and bass problems, which I know we have.

Does anyone have some good examples of how to build a base trap? I looked at the www.saecollege.de site. It has some good info, but I remember seeing some pictures of people who built some with trash cans etc. Any help would be much appreciated. The search function is not working so I cant find any info on this site.

Thanks!

-Brian

anyone know where to get the fiberglass for prices like that? (on the invoice price thing from that website) I'm just not sure how to look up companies and what to ask for. No regular home depot sells it, I found one place and they wanted $25 for the piece thats $5 on that sheet. If anyone has any ideas, please help.

Do an internet search for "knauf" and track down a local dealer. The stuff is called pipe insulation, and if I remember correctly, 3' sections sell for 20-30$ each in USD, depending on the diameter.

ok I guess they are more expensive than I thought...the prices on that site are per linear foot, not per 3' piece. That means it's 3 times more costly.

For $20 each I can buy auralex foam corner traps...which will keep me from messing the trap up and also will look nice. Should I just go that route, or will the homeade tube traps make a world of difference?

I have no experience with the auralex bass traps, although I have some of their foam panels, but I was blown away by the DIY tube traps in my studio. They are pretty easy to make. I've got six of them.

No doubt, the Auralex looks good and would probably sound just fine. If you go that route, let them do a free room plot/ layout for you so you get a good balance of absorbsion and diffuion

this off their website:

"Auralex is focused on offering high-performance, low-cost products that provide you with the RIGHT solution to your acoustical problems. To accomplish this, we have a highly-experienced, well-trained group of "audio junkies" that review hundreds of free Personalized Consultations a month and are readily available to help anyone!"

I should get a referal commission from them...

Back