Auralex foam and bass trap placement to absorb bass reflections and vibrations

jpetrou

Hey guys, I have just finished setting up my studio. I produce electronic music on near field monitors which when i turn up the volume and the sub starts pounding out low end, I have plenty of vibration in the corners of my room. The room is very reflective and in the middle of the room reverb is high pitched, springy and terrible. My room is a pentagon, apx 6m x 5m x 6m x 1m x 5m (x4 high)

As im using nearfields, up close the reflections are so bad, but the vibrations and noises in certain parts of the room are terrible when the bass and low ends kick in. I have pin pointed a spot directly behind my monitors on the left wall, where i can hear the wall vibrating what sounds like the metal framework behind the drywall.

....see link for 4 photos in a zip archive. NOTE: my studio is setup in the corner of the room.

sendspace.com/file/iimt2r

When i press firmly against this part of the wall, the noisy vibrations stop. Is there something i could bye or something i could make that could brace the wall or absorb this vibration? I have since installed bass traps which have stopped the back rear wall from vibrating, but now i have noticed it on the corner of the adjacent wall also. I have 3 more bass traps and some pyramid foam left. where should i put them to minimalise the vibrations and what else can i do?

any advice is appreciated.

cheers!

james

Attachments

• b.jpg
    b.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 158
I have 3 more bass traps and some pyramid foam left. where should i put them
In the trash. Or behind some actual broadband trapping.
what else can i do?
Fix the wall first -- Or call a contractor to fix it. Your wall is vibrating and you're trying to stop it from vibrating with a couple pounds of low-density foam. It's not going to happen.
NOTE: my studio is setup in the corner of the room.
That's not going to help any either.

Screw the drywall down first. I'd have to assume that it's either been up for some time and there's some settling or shrinkage of the studs, or more likely, it's very lightweight board that wasn't attached securely enough in the first place. Adding another layer of drywall (the thickest you can) will be a much bigger help. Don't try to save $3 on screws either -- At least double what you'd use for typical construction.

As far as actually absorbing some of the reflective energy, you're using material made for the tiniest of tweaks to the higher-end of the spectrum when you need to be using much more massive (no pun intended) broadband absorption. GIK, RealTraps, even stacking bags of R-32 in the corners (all of them - floor-to-ceiling) will at least make a dent in the problem. The foam things won't even measure in the frequencies you're trying to control.

Although those Auralex LENRD traps are capable of a lot more than most audiophiles think, they won't stop your wall from rumbling. At least not 4 of them :D Their effectiveness prettymuch stops at like 75 hz. You're gonna need some heavy mass (big old REAL bass traps :) ) to start to effectively deal with the situation! Also, move your desk out from the wall. Get it parallel with a wall and then bring it out about 2 feet at least. That'll be a good start!

what he /\ said.

And another +1 for getting the desk outta the corner. Corner's are where bass buildup is worse.
Ditch the foam (at least for now) and focus on broadband and bass traps, floor to ceiling and roll from there.

Back