AudiMute Peacemaker Vs MLV

Kjv1993

Busking a Subway Near You
I have come across this product linked here:
http://www.audimutesoundproofing.co...-proof-material-soundproofing-insulation.aspx
from a company called Audimute. They claim that their product is better then MLV because it is lighter and cheaper and 'better for the environment' They say that dollar for dollar Peacemaker out-performes MLV.

But what I want to know is at the same thickness, (about 1/8 inch) is 1pound/ Square Foot MLV better then the 3.2mm peacemaker product? Cause I found MLV for very cheap on this website:

http://www.soundisolationstore.com/...uare-foot-mlv/mass-loaded-vinyl-mlv-1-lb.html

It would be just a little bit more to go with the MLV but if its alot better, then Ill have no problem paying for it.

Thanks a lot,
Kevin

First - lighter is worse not better - so theirs is cheaper - but not as good a product as LV in the end.

As far as the MLV itself goes - although they won't admit it - pound for pound comparing the costs involved - you can beat this HANDS DOWN with just more layers of drywall (5/8" is about 2.5 psf of mass versus their 1 psf)- and a hell of a lot cheaper per sq foot than their vinyl) AND - it's more expensive per square foot than green glue - which they admit outperforms them........

So why in the world would you even consider using these products?

Rod

So why in the world would you even consider using these products?

Rod

Well the reason is because I talked to an expert and he said that layering drywall is effective but putting something like MLV or Peacemaker in between is a lot better because you need something that isn't rigid that will transmit vibrations. And I heard that Green Glue is not all that great at high frequencies which is an issue in my case. So basically, for 100sq feet (which is what I need) I have:
MLV-$160 including shipping
Peacemaker-$150 and the warehouse is an hour drive from my house

So aside from all that, which would be more effictive?

Well the reason is because I talked to an expert and he said that layering drywall is effective but putting something like MLV or Peacemaker in between is a lot better because you need something that isn't rigid that will transmit vibrations. And I heard that Green Glue is not all that great at high frequencies which is an issue in my case. So basically, for 100sq feet (which is what I need) I have:
MLV-$160 including shipping
Peacemaker-$150 and the warehouse is an hour drive from my house

So aside from all that, which would be more effictive?

Kjv,

define "expert" - I happen to be an expert in the field - in fact I am a published author in the field - and you "spoke" with me - and i told you different.

If in your case high frequencies are an issue - well that is the easy area to deal with using drywall alone.

Look at any of the wall asemblies in IRC-IR-761 and look at the kind of isolation you get with even just 2 layers of drywall on each face of a decent wall assembly - it's amazing - so why is this "expert" looking to make you spend money (try throw away money) when the best labs and tests in the world say you don't have to?

Examples:

Staggered stud wall assembly - 2x4 staggered studs at 16" o.c. - 2 layers of just
1/2" dryall w/ a single blanket of fiberglass insulation in the stud bay:
Frequency - TL
1600 Hz.... 66.5
2000 Hz.... 66.1
2500 Hz ....57.1
3150 Hz.... 57.9
4000 Hz.... 63.3
5000 Hz.... 69.3
6300 Hz.... 74.5

Now the exact same wall asembly - but dbl 5/8" dw each face instead of 1/2"

1600 Hz 60.3
2000 Hz 53.1
2500 Hz 53.7
3150 Hz 60.2
4000 Hz 65.5
5000 Hz 69.5
6300 Hz 75.0

NOte the small dip around coincidence - ( 1600 to 2500 Hz) but an improvement above,

it gets much better with a true double wall assembly - dbl 1/2 dywall - 2x4 studs (16" oc) with fiberglass insulation 1" air space - 2x4 studs @ 16" oc bays filled with fibergrlas insulation - dbl layer of 1/2" drywall:

1600 Hz.... 86.4
2000 Hz.... 86.0
2500 Hz.... 79.4
3150 Hz.... 79.8
4000 Hz.... 85.3
5000 Hz.... 90.3
6300 Hz.... 90.7han a whisper on the other side

with this wall - if you are playing out loud at 115 it's not much more than a whisper on the other side.

with double wall these are the numbers for 5/8" everything else is exctly the same:

1600 Hz 83.9
2000 Hz 74.6
2500 Hz 75.5
3150 Hz 82.4
4000 Hz 88.4
5000 Hz 92.7
6300 Hz 91.0

same observations here regarding coincidence and the remaining isolating values.

Rod

ok well let me clear this up a little. The 2 major problems are
1-The kitchen is right above and the refrigerator is giving off a buzz.
2- Peoples footsteps and voices from above.

Right now I have 1layer of 5/8 drywall in the joistspace followed by r-19 pink insulation.
What I want most is the fridge buzz COMPLETELY gone because that is a 24/7 issue. And I want the footstep creeks and voices to be as muted as possible.

BTW this is a room in my basement, so the walls are fine, but all the sound is coming from the ceiling.

Would I be able to achieve this with just a few layers of drywall on the ceiling?

Thanks alot for your input

Back