ATS Studio Stacker Gobos - Anyone here use them?

miroslav

Cosmic Cowboy
I have an opportunity to get some of these:

ATS Acoustics Studio Stacker, Gobo Panel

There is a local guy who has 16 of them...like new...and he's asking $1500 for the lot, which is a great deal considering they cost about $200 each, plus shipping.

The thing I'm curious about them is how well do they stack. It looks like they don't "lock" in any way, so it's just the weight of each one that holds it in place. Two stacked would be pretty secure...but I'm wondering how safe 3 of them would be...I mean, if the top one got pushed off, it would do some serious damage to the floor and anything else it falls on.
I'm sure I could modify them with some basic metal strips w/screws on the sides, or something similar.

The other thing I can't quite get from the info, is if they have a hard, reflective side, or is it absorptive on both sides...? Most gobos tend to have a hard side or a panel that you could maybe add to make it reflective or remove for both sides to be absorptive.

They also say these are good as bass traps, which I can assume would be, considering they are quite beefy...10" deep.

Anyway...I'm going to see on Monday...call. ATS and ask them, but was wondering if anyone ever tried them.
I still haven't spoken to the seller yet, so I'll ask him too, but I wanted to know the details before I contact him.

We had a local studio that had some, they were also the agent for them. Very well made and seemed to work well. I think if you placed them across the corner of the room it would act as a bass trap as well.

Alan

We had a local studio that had some, they were also the agent for them. Very well made and seemed to work well. I think if you placed them across the corner of the room it would act as a bass trap as well.

Alan

Ahh...thank you...some first-hand experience.

I've been holding off contacting the guy...they are all still up for sale.
I did call ATS and ask them if they were absorptive on both sides, and they confirmed that they were...and the they are filled completely, without any kind of air gap...so at 10" deep, that's one chunky trap.

They also said that they just stack, and at 40lbs each, they are pretty stable with the rubber feet when you stack them,...so no locking mechanism, but that's something that could be added easy enough...some metal bracket, etc...because stacking 3 of them, their going to be 6' tall, and I would have some concern about a good bump causing the top one to rock/tumble off...which would hurt whatever it fell on.

I gotta do some figuring...and decide if I want to go for them. I need to get about 30 traps for the walls/ceiling...so these stackers wouldn't work for that, but they could certainly help a lot with low end trapping if spread around the room. Thing is, for actual gobo use, I had something else in mind...more of the typical gobo walls, taller one-piece with some kind of wheels, and maybe a small window panel...which I was most likely going to custom make myself.
That said...the price on these stackers, and the fact that they are only about 3 hours round trip fro me to go get them...is very tempting. :)

These are made with Roxul AFB and Rockboard 60...so I'm just wondering if they give off any significant odor...?
Some people say that the mineral fiber has a noticeable smell. Some say it goes away after awhile, and it's only when it's new/fresh.
I would hate to get 16 of these if there's going to be some noticeable smell. That kind of stuff really bugs me...any kind of persistent smell, even it's initially a nice smell...after awhile it becomes annoying if it's always noticeable.

When I build my place I had coloured hesson covering some of my pannels, it smelled for a while but went away after a few weeks, so I would not worry.

Its a bit like having new paint or new carpet.

Alan

Back