Anybody tried the Owens Corning Basement Finishing System

tntkemp

I have a huge, unfinished basement. I've chosen two areas to finish..one for the live band / recording room, the other for the Engineering booth. I went to a local home show recently. One of the companies that was there sells and installs the Owens Corning Basement Finishing System . It looks and sounds pretty promising...killing several birds with one stone.

Has anybody had experience with this product in studios, or otherwise?

It depends on how much sound you don't mind letting out or letting in. That stuff won't stop sound. Not even close really. It's basically just insulation with a pretty face on it. If you're looking to stop sound you need something much more dense. If you don't care about how much sound gets in or out, go for it. I definitely wouldn't try using that for walls between rooms.

Bottom line is, it won't stop sound. That stuff is more for using a basement for a family room.

my dad is a handy man, i was on a job with him once where the the home owner had used this stuff. on his basement... the room sounded good nice and clean with great acoustics (he had bass traps) but i am thinking that it will not block any sound without some real mass behind it. the thing we were there fore was that after about 5 months the doors no longer shut right so we had the reframe the doors make sure that if you do this that you build a good door frame. the ones we had there just had nothing to really nail to other than the basement finish so you best bet is to go for a mix of real walls and this stuff if you think you can do it. one thing was that these things finished out really nice and i guess its fast to put it up too :) if sound "proof" is not what you really worry about but just an ok sounding room then this stuff might not let you down.

It's interesting that both of you state that this stuff doesn't provide any soundproofing, because the salesman claimed that it actually had a very high level of soundproofing. I can definitely see where it would have great value as far as preventing reflections....since it would indeed create a room of mostly cloth surfaces. Beyond that, all that I have so far is the salesman's claims.

For the most part, my planned rooms are perfect for supressing sound emissions, as the live room is surrounded on two main walls with poured cement from ceiling to floor and the third side is 1/2 poured cement. The fourth side requires the building of a new wall. Therefore, in terms of the walls, only 1 full side, and 1/2 of another side need treatment for emissions. Then, of course, there is the one window...which I'll probably go with an expensive window plug that allows light to pass through: Soundproofwindows.com

Finally, there's the ceiling. This salesman is suggesting a high-density drop ceiling for that.

Back