Another Glass Question

gatorhaus

OK, I went to order my glass this week and was checking prices and materials. And after reading the previous threads I had some questions.

1) Has anyone ever used IG (Insulated glass)? I have noticed most of the threads talk about laminated glass. From what I understand laminated glass is two sheets of glass joined together by a thin membrane.The Insulated glass is two sheets separated by an air gap and sealed together.

2) Has anyone used plexiglass. I have seen this in studios for vocal booths (with good results), but don't know about drum booth applications.

3) What thicknesses do I need. I know the IG comes in (1/8", air gap, 1/8") is this sufficient or do I need (1/4", air gap, 1/4".) I've also read about the laminated glass in 1/4" thickness, is this two 1/8" sheet put together?

Thanks for your feedback.
larry

I'd be leary of using that insulated glass. If they ever fog up inside (even though they have a wick to drain moisture) they could leave a stain or residue behind that you'll have no way of cleaning. At least that's what happened to the double french doors on the back of my house.

DD,

Yeah I kinda already have ruled out the Insulated Glass, I was just wondering if any one had used it. I dug back into my F. Alton and Mike Shea books again. But was wondering if anyone else had used it.

I do know what the books say, but read all the time about what some people do different and achieve results.

WHILE WERE ON THIS TOPIC OF WHAT THE BOOKS SAY--!:confused:

Why does everyone slant the glass. The books actually say that you will achive better sound isolation keeping the gap as large as possible, vice slanting the glass to achieve non-parallel surfaces.

Well................come on, I really wanna know:)

Again, thanks for everyone's input,

PS how's things in Texas, Michael, we want pics of the framing.
well...............come on we really do.

Gator,

1/4" laminate is made from two sheets of approx., 1/8" glass.

Ideally, use two different thicknesses..........e.g: 3/8" on the tracking room side and 1/4" on the control room side. This way, the differing resonance of the glass sheets helps minimise sound transfer (sympathetic resonance between the sheets). Also put some silica gel in the void to absorb moisture.

Angling the glass may contribute to sound transfer in a small way, but research within the glass manufacturing industry has shown the best results are achieved using the varying thickness method, particularly with laminated glass.

I think the main advantage of angling the glass is that you virtually eliminate light reflecting back and forth between the sheets, therefore imparing visibility.

:cool:

ausrock,

That makes complete sense about putting the glass at a downward angle. What's the point of putting a window in if you can't see through it.

The 3/8", is that two 3/16" sheets laminated together?

larry

QUOTE:...................."The 3/8", is that two 3/16" sheets laminated together?"

I would presume so, although there may be special purpose glasses made differently.............you would have to check with glass suppliers.

Apparently, some manufacturers (at least here in Australia) make a laminated with a slightly thicker membrane than standard laminated glass, specifically for it's resistance to acoustic transfer, but it is somewhat more expensive.

:cool:

Back