Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Am I being ripped off?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobrato View Post
    @hautbois16 ...
    Question for everyone—what do you all think of the viability of mixing on headphones?
    People are doing it, so it's viable. As @grimtraveller says, like anything, it's going to take practice.

Now, physically there are some things you will not hear on headphones the same way they are heard on speakers, like hearing a bit of both the left and right channels in both ears, but that has to be balanced with the reality that very few people actually sit in a room and listen to stereo on a pair of good speakers anymore. And, there are ways to simulate that effect in your headphones - I think there's even a "box" out there you can use to do that.

With that, I'll say that after I got decent monitors and a kind-of treated room, I found that mixing I did while listening to the monitor speakers were almost always more compatible with other output devices, like my car and various headphones and earbuds. Until that time, I found I spent a lot of time testing mixes more than once on different devices to get things where I felt it translated across devices. (Not saying it's perfect every time by any means.) But, maybe by starting with the right set of headphones and sticking with them I might have arrived at the same place. I was compelled along by the conventional wisdom to speakers and treatment, and feel like it worked well, i.e., the Kool-Aid worked, I guess, and so I gladly offer it to the next person that comes along .

It costs not much to try that at first, I'll say, but you still want to get some treatment in there for recording acoustic guitar, IMO/IME.
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

2. The Following User Says Thank You to keith.rogers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    What Keith says ^^^^. Basically, learn your monitoring system (headphones, speakers, whatever) - how your mixes translate on other systems.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mjbphotos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the input, it's all helpful stuff.

I was beginning to think twice about even bothering to get treatment if mixing on headphones is viable. But it's also about recording in addition to mixing, and none of my rooms sound good as they are. And if I'm gonna get treatment, why not spend a bit more and get enough treatment to produce a good/reliable mix room too? (and to be honest, taking extra time to develop the skill of mixing exclusively on headphones doesn't appeal, as I have limited mixing knowledge and experience as it is).

The only thing I'm slightly unsure of is whether significantly deadening the room (as my plan is designed to do) will compromise the recording sound of my guitars, as some insist that having a certain degree of reflections in the room is optimal. It's all a matter of taste though I suppose. I found the following video somewhat useful, it helped me realise that I'm just fine with a dry sounding acoustic recording (it's a 1 minute before and after sound comparison between a treated and untreated room):

Auralex Treatment Acoustic Guitar Listening Experiment: UNTREATED vs. TREATED - YouTube
    Last edited by Dobrato; 3 Days Ago at 07:46.

Thanks
    Yes, if your room doesn't sound really 'good', then deadening as much as possible then adding a reverb plug-in will sound better.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thread Information