advice on studio re-jiggering

agiledood

Now that I've finished our first EP, I am rewarding myself with re-jiggering my studio now that I have a good idea what my workflow is, previous irritations etc.

Current setup:
- 2017 MBP, Logic Pro X
- Scarlet Focusrite 18i20, Rokit 6's
- Alesis Strike Pro
- various mics/guitars/bass blah blah blah...

Pic of old setup is attached, and below is the new setup. Main changes is creating an acoustically treated booth area for vocals, and acoustic guitar recording.

My main annoyance is switching cables due to limited inputs, only because the Strike Pro has 6 outputs. I only need to switch the first 2 inputs, sometimes a 3rd one, but I'd like to have 10 inputs (6 for the ASP, 2 DI, 2 mics) so I can leave stuff setup permanently. I want to be able to record when I want to record and not have to screw around with setting up mics, changing cables etc.

I'm not worried about the sound of the room, I've learned "how it sounds" and I took our EP to a local studio for final polish. I use multiple headphones when mixing so it's handy having the scarlet nearby since it has 2 headphone outputs, plus a separate monitor output I can mute quickly.

I am thinking of this setup:

studio-setup.001.jpeg

- I'd buy a used patchbay, or sell the Scarlet for a 24-input something or other with good preamps.
- I'd used my iPad out in the open area to record drums...it has a good remote control Logic Pro X app so not having the interface next to me is fine. Worst case scenario, I run a longer thunderbolt 3 cable through the wall, and move my MBP out to the open area. I don't record drums often, but I still don't want to deal with leveling, changing cables etc.

So I guess the question is, would it be better to replace the interface with one that has more inputs and good preamps, or get a patchbay, use the mic inputs on the scarlet and patchbay inputs for everything else?

Attachments

• IMG_0218.jpg
    IMG_0218.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 42
Now that I've finished our first EP, I am rewarding myself with re-jiggering my studio now that I have a good idea what my workflow is, previous irritations etc.

Current setup:
- 2017 MBP, Logic Pro X
- Scarlet Focusrite 18i20, Rokit 6's
- Alesis Strike Pro
- various mics/guitars/bass blah blah blah...

Pic of old setup is attached, and below is the new setup. Main changes is creating an acoustically treated booth area for vocals, and acoustic guitar recording.

My main annoyance is switching cables due to limited inputs, only because the Strike Pro has 6 outputs. I only need to switch the first 2 inputs, sometimes a 3rd one, but I'd like to have 10 inputs (6 for the ASP, 2 DI, 2 mics) so I can leave stuff setup permanently. I want to be able to record when I want to record and not have to screw around with setting up mics, changing cables etc.

I'm not worried about the sound of the room, I've learned "how it sounds" and I took our EP to a local studio for final polish. I use multiple headphones when mixing so it's handy having the scarlet nearby since it has 2 headphone outputs, plus a separate monitor output I can mute quickly.

I am thinking of this setup:

View attachment 104281

- I'd buy a used patchbay, or sell the Scarlet for a 24-input something or other with good preamps.
- I'd used my iPad out in the open area to record drums...it has a good remote control Logic Pro X app so not having the interface next to me is fine. Worst case scenario, I run a longer thunderbolt 3 cable through the wall, and move my MBP out to the open area. I don't record drums often, but I still don't want to deal with leveling, changing cables etc.

So I guess the question is, would it be better to replace the interface with one that has more inputs and good preamps, or get a patchbay, use the mic inputs on the scarlet and patchbay inputs for everything else?

i would go for more inputs and no patchbay at all

Back