Advice on "portable" studio setup.

superstupid

Portable is in quotations, because it will be primarily going between two locations, although it may make a visit to 1 or 2 more.

Anyways, the space we have is an old firehouse, built with 3 wythe brick walls. It's owned by family members that does a little work on it here and there, planning on living in it in the future, and they have offered to let us practice there for free. Two-story 25' x 80' space with drywall and batt on exterior walls. No partition walls.

For vocals, we can find another place, like a bedroom, and actually get that set up pretty decently with bass traps, corner diffusers, etc.

I have an Otari MX5050 8-track (same kind used to record Bleach) and n-track on PC. What I'd like to do is record the rhythm/instrumental tracks in the practice space, and then haul it up the elevator, mix it down, dump it to the computer and work on vocals and leads there.

I've seen Auralex make those foldup foam walls, and I could also gather up some blankets. My main concern is getting a decent sound within that space. There will be some echo and reverb since it is a small room, but that could make it fun. I guess that I need some degree of isolation in the space, but I'll just have to work around everything else for the time being.

Professional is such a subjective term. We want to produce something that can be played on the radio, but we aren't particularly concerned with a real slick sound at this point. We want to have fun this go-around. Thanks in advance!

SS,

> Two-story 25' x 80' ... My main concern is getting a decent sound within that space. <

The biggest problem is simply the size of the room. The larger the room, the more treatment you need to cover all that wall surface. You can reduce the amount of reverb recorded with close miking and absorbing barriers, but I imagine you'll still hear a fair amount of reverb rattling around in the background. Especially on drum overhead and vocal mikes.

--Ethan

I should clarify that the space is not two story. There are two floors, each pretty much 25x80, building has been gutted. One is not insulated, the other is. I was in it today, and it doesn't really echo that much in the insulated space. Hell, we might be able to use it to our advantage if it does echo.

And we would not be doing vocals there. We would be doing vocals someplace else. But it is easier to find a place to do vocals than it is to find a place to set up drums and amps.

And I cannot soundproof the entire place, it's not mine to soundproof. I'm wondering what sort of baffling/absorbing barriers and where to place them for the most effective sound.

I know we are going to get a little bit of reverb, and bleed. I'm expecting that much, but oh well. We don't want to sound "slick", more honest. More of a Pearl Jam/Weezer/Zeppelin type sound.

Back