Advice needed for new room setup

bigbluebarry

Hey everyone, this is my first post here. My name is Barry, I'm an instrumentalist composer/songwriter that mostly does everything in the box, though I do occasionally record vocals and acoustic guitar. My family and I are about to move into a new home and I'm going to have a small bedroom studio setup in the basement. I've included a diagram with some dimensions.

Studio Dimensions.jpg

I'd be grateful for any advice on:

• Best location for mixing desk
  • Ideas for sound treatment
  • Ideas for what to do about the window
  • Ideas for what to do about the closet (ie... hang curtains as "treatment"?)

My mixing station is the Platform desk by Output, which has dimensions of 60" wide by 36" deep. I have two computer monitors that sit on top of the desk. For audio monitors, I have a pair of PreSonus Eris E8 XT monitors that I have typically placed on monitor stands next to the desk. I also recently got the Temblor T10 sub but I'm not sure where the best place to put it is yet.

From what research and reading I've done, my initial thought is to have the desk facing the East wall in the room with my back to the door. Again, any advice or insights would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Barry

Desk in the middle of the wall on the right. Rockwool or OC traps in the front corners, in back corner (just cover over the window, you don't really need it, do you? For the corner with the door, hang a traps on the wall, and on the back of the door, if possible, or make a trap that can be moved into position when the door is closed. SOme 2" traps above your mixing area. 2" traps on walls at point of first reflection (closet and opposite wall). Start with that, then see if you need more trapping.

Back