Advice on multi-use room set up

bishop55

Hi gang,
I've got a small, oddly shaped room that I just got some treatment for. i'm trying to set it up. i added a sketchup pic with the drums where they are now. It's a low-ceilinged attic room, long, almost 30 ft. I'm thinking of ways to set it up efficiently. right now, my desk is located where the desk is in the pic, at the end of the room. I use the space for band rehearsal, mixing and tracking.

Any suggestions for where to put the drums and the desk? COuld i put the desk anywhere else in order to make better use of the space so we have more room when rehearsing?

As far as treatment, I've been advised where things should go by Bryan and Frank from GIK, as well as the room set-up info on their site. I have 4 diffusion panels three 4" bass traps, and 6 2" panels covered with GOM and on 2 inch wood frames. as well as a ceiling cloud and these weird panels made to control echo flutters in gyms and so forth, not as dense as oc703, but readymade

mb

Attachments

• my room 2.jpg
    my room 2.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
try deep bass traps in your bonus room

That room looks similar to my bonus room, where I record/mix.

I would highly recommend that you investigate deep bass traps at the front of the side walls (either side of the mix desk) -- i.e., bass traps to fill the space behind the knee wall under the sloping roof. This way you have deep corner traps without taking up limited width in your room. My bonus room had 3 ft deep space behind the knee wall - you can fill it with cheap fluffy fiberglas and a fabric covered front (I had brown paper behind the fabric to reflect highs). See attached pics.

Then use bass traps in your other corners and your other treatments per GIK advice. I ended up with twelve GIK 244s in my 12.3 x 21.5 x 8 ft bonus room, in addition to the two deep bass traps, before I got the sound I was looking for. They are not all shown in these pics - the last pic is from testing where I was moving traps around trying different combinations, while shooting the room with Room EQ Wizard.

You have a lot of knee wall in that room so to maximize your space, think about using deep bass traps also in the back corners and elsewhere.

Attachments

• deep trap fluffy stuff.jpg
    deep trap fluffy stuff.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 37
  • deep traps done.jpg
    deep traps done.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 36
  • ceiling.refl.pts.only.jpg
    ceiling.refl.pts.only.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
I have similiar space that is unused. I could make some really large bass traps similiar to these. Great idea.

Back