Acoustic treatment/placement

tomowen10

im building a home recording studio, purely for vocals only.

I've ordered 32 acoustic panels, 10 bass traps, some moving mats (to save on money) and a couple of large acoustic mats.

The room is pretty big and gives out lots of echo and reverb. I was wondering where i should record my vocals in the room? is it enough treatment? should i just set up a vocal booth in my spare bathroom with all the acoustic treatment or record in the corner of the room?

i wanna get the highest quality recordings possible.

thanks

Thanks for the reply man.

But i dont have an actual vocal booth, i have some acoustic panels etc and i was thinking would it be good to put the majority of them in a corner and stand in that corner whilst recording the vocals?

ive als just noticed its only when the record button is hit, so even if i dont have record button on there is no noise. with or without the microphone..

hope this help??

I've ordered 32 acoustic panels, 10 bass traps, some moving mats (to save on money) and a couple of large acoustic mats.

is it enough treatment?
If we're talking broadband panels and 703/705 (or some sort) bass traps, most likely yes. If we're talking foam sheets and foam triangles, most likely [just cancel the order].

Should i set up a small kind of vocal booth in the corner of the room, or spread the panels out around the room (which is pretty big) and then record vocals in the centre?

"But i dont have an actual vocal booth, i have some acoustic panels etc and i was thinking would it be good to put the majority of them in a corner and stand in that corner whilst recording the vocals? "

That's exactly what is shown in the photo and diagram in post #3...... a portable vocal booth.

"ive just taken out the microphone and its still making the sound??"

"ive als just noticed its only when the record button is hit, so even if i dont have record button on there is no noise. with or without the microphone.."

What do you mean "just taken the microphone out and its still making the sound??" What's making the sound???....."ive als just noticed its only when the record button is hit". This seems a contradiction!!!

You're only giving a fraction of the story/information needed for people to make helpful comments.

:cool:

This might help give you an approximation on quantity.

Small Rooms – 6 – 10 SQM = 1.5 – 3 SQM of Acoustic Foam.

Medium Rooms – 11 – 15 SQM = 3 – 5 SQM of Acoustic Foam.

Large Rooms – 16 – 20 SQM = 5 – 8 SQM of Acoustic Foam.

This might help give you an approximation on quantity.

Small Rooms – 6 – 10 SQM = 1.5 – 3 SQM of Acoustic Foam.

Medium Rooms – 11 – 15 SQM = 3 – 5 SQM of Acoustic Foam.

Large Rooms – 16 – 20 SQM = 5 – 8 SQM of Acoustic Foam.

Good god, no! :eek:

My take on this stuff and people will probably disagree is ....... any material will absorb some sound frequencies.

There is nothing wrong with foam, but it tends to usually only to absorb high frequencies.

Fiberglass/rockwool panels will absorb mid range and lower frequencies depending how thick they are.

Other materials will do same ......depending how thick they are.

Foam does have a place but it all depends on what you intend to do.

Last edited:
My take on this stuff and people will probably disagree is ....... any material will absorb some sound frequencies.

There is nothing wrong with foam, but it tends to usually only to absorb high frequencies.

And depending on the foam this can be variable.

Fiberglass/rockwool panels will absorb mid range and lower frequencies depending how thick they are.

To a fair degree, absolutely.......the depth/thickness is critical.

Other materials will do same ......depending how thick they are.

Foam does have a place but it all depends on what you intend to do.

It isn't rocket science BUT it does take some understanding.

Back