Acoustic treatment - the direction of DAW desk and windows

lwfleng

螢幕快照 2018-07-17 上午12.32.23.png
I just got a room like this, where should I put the desk? and what kind of treatments should I put on the windows?
Cuz I dont want some noise come from outside when I started my recording.....:facepalm:
And what should I do on the upper right corner...:facepalm:
I did some research, but I can't figure out the best way to settle the corner, should I put more bass trap on the upper right corner?

I would put it in front of the window...so that you have more room on the sides, where early reflections would be more of an issue than any issues from facing the window.

Going the other way...2.5 meters is pretty narrow, and will really "box-in" the sound.

That said...that's pretty small room no matter which way you face...so expect acoustics issues...and yes, you should trap all the corners and more for that small space.

Yeah, that's a very small room. If you've got noise coming in the window, there's isn't much you can do to stop that - you can't build a 4" bass trap covering the whole thing, I guess.
Note that for acoustic treatment you want rockwool/compressed fiberglass, not 'acoustic foam'. Get as much as you can in teh corners. 2" thick rockwool on the side walls (and over window) to help cut down first reflections - ceiling too. Whatever you can get in there and still leave room for recording. Mixing? Headphones will probably be best.

A simple and fairly effective "treatment" you can do on the windows that doesn't involve some sort of construction or permanent covering...is to hang extra thick drapes...I mean, the heavy shit that's almost quilt/tapestry-like.
If you have someone who can make drapes for you, there is soft/flexible acoustic "blanket" material that you could insert inside a custom sewn set of drapes.
You can find it on acoustic supply sites.
Of course...you can also cover the windows with typical broadband traps...but plan on that being a more permanent cover.

Now if you have major traffic noise and/or industrial noise...or just very noisy neighbors...you will need a whole lot more to kill that sound off, but I find that in typical neighborhood settings, it's not a real issue all the time. I mean, maybe when the neighbors are cutting the grass, you will have to wait...but generally, hearing a bit of outside noise with your ears will not be picked up by your mics...unless you have them gained up and facing the windows...plus, while your are singing/playing into the mics, your audio signals will be about 10 times louder than the outside noise...so that outside stuff will be masked out.

I have three 6' (almost 2 meter) wide windows in my studio, all double-pane...looking out into my yard and gardens, and I wouldn't cover them for nothing, as I love the natural light and the view.
I live in a real quiet wooded residential neighborhood, so I only have some noise if someone is cutting grass or using a chainsaw...but TBH, I've never had it bother my recording...it's just too distant and faint.

Got a question.. Is this room all or partially below ground level - with the windows being a narrow strip across the upper wall?

Or is this room at ground level - with floor to ceiling windows across the wall?

Good question.

I am waiting to hear back before I input.

A simple and fairly effective "treatment" you can do on the windows that doesn't involve some sort of construction or ....

I have three 6' (almost 2 meter) wide windows in my studio, all double-pane...looking out into my yard and gardens, and I wouldn't cover them for nothing, as I love the natural light and the view.
I live in a real quiet wooded residential neighborhood, so I only have some noise if someone is cutting grass or using a chainsaw...but TBH, I've never had it bother my recording...it's just too distant and faint.
Thanks for your suggestion, I'm considering to use 2 layers of curtain to cover the windows, cuz air convection is necessary in this closed place, maybe sometimes I need to let the sunshine in, haha...
What do you think about the upper right corner?

Got a question.. Is this room all or partially below ground level - with the windows being a narrow strip across the upper wall?

Or is this room at ground level - with floor to ceiling windows across the wall?

Thanks for your question. This room is all above ground level, its about 5th floor in the buildings.
For the windows, its half of the wall height, about 1 meter x 4 meter.
I'm considering to use some thick curtain to cover it, any suggestion?

Yeah, that's a very small room. If you've got noise coming in the window, there's isn't much you can do to stop that - you can't build a 4" bass trap covering the whole thing, I guess.
Note that for acoustic treatment you want rockwool/compressed fiberglass, not 'acoustic foam'. Get as much as you can in teh corners. 2" thick rockwool on the side walls (and over window) to help cut down first reflections - ceiling too. Whatever you can get in there and still leave room for recording. Mixing? Headphones will probably be best.
Thanks for your advice. I tend to use this room for some demo recording, and practicing guitar as well.

I would put it in front of the window...so that you have more room on the sides, where early reflections would be more of an issue than any issues from facing the window.

Going the other way...2.5 meters is pretty narrow, and will really "box-in" the sound.

That said...that's pretty small room no matter which way you face...so expect acoustics issues...and yes, you should trap all the corners and more for that small space.

yes, its pretty small room, but its limited by the budget of the rent, haha....
the upper right corner make me confused about the direction of the desk:facepalm:

Put bass traps (4"thick rockwool) across the corners.
For the window - something as thick as moving blankets or heavy quilted fabric.

Thanks for your question. This room is all above ground level, its about 5th floor in the buildings.
For the windows, its half of the wall height, about 1 meter x 4 meter.
I'm considering to use some thick curtain to cover it, any suggestion?

Thanks. Besides a good moving blanket as suggested earlier, you could also use an oriental rug runner - just to cover the glass.

Its fine, you can manage. the size is small but you have at least a few things going for you. the room is deeper than wide and even though that may be ideal in general, i think with the glass on one side, you should have the desk up against the windows, as your front wall and the wide dimension your width. You can fill up the entire window space, with two mattresses or if you got the budget, some roxul rockwool in your own wood frames, can use 703 panels too. this could cost you a little, but Id get the insulation filled in the window and then cover the entire walls with moving blankets, you can get large and x large for like 20 bucks and have like 6 moving blankets, they are thin and will help greatly for the little they cost. plus they cover a lot of area! You could even just, for now, cover the window with two of those moving blankets. but really, you should invest in some minimal treatment. get yourself some a box of 1 inch and 2 boxes of 2 inch 703 owens corning and some thin fabric from your thrift store, art store. spray glue that shit on there and hand em in the right spots, early and late reflections. cloud... hang it! :) your back wall can have moving blanket and some homemade bass traps. Id get some corner traps too, use 1 inch panels floor to ceiling, if if you are using 8 inch drivers or a sub. if you have 5 inch monitors, Id just stick with the 1 inch corner traps. for the sub or larger drivers Id use rockwool in the corners with the 703... :) you can make everything yourself! sure gik panels look nice but for 800$ I can build two times what I can buy premade. and if I can do it, you can to.

Back