Acoustic Panels

Zetajazz44

I know a lot of people on this board have/are attempting to build their own acoustic panels... I was even planning to build my own... I found this site on the net and thought I'd pass it along...

I'm not affiliated with these folks at this site, don't even know who they are, it just looked appealing to me since the price seemed Ok, and it is close enough by that I could drive there and pick these up...

http://www.gikacoustics.com/index.htm

Has anyone tried these panels? If so, what are your take on them?

Thanks in advance,

I have'nt used them but I know that they are just rockwool wrapped in fabric with a wood frame on the back for mounting/spacing. Why don't you make your own? Hell, I could make you some for cheaper than that.

TravisinFlorida,

Glenn here from GIK Acoustics.. If you would like give me a call toll free at 1 866 667 1569 and I can answer any questions you may have..
One correction I would like to make that the last poster made is it is more then just wrapped fiberglass and if I may say that our lab numbers show that.. But he is right you can make panels that can work pretty darn well also. In fact if I may brag for one second, :D, we have a new panel that we just got testing back from Riverbank Acoustical Laboratories.. Here are just a few numbers. I can send anyone PFD's of the lab reports if you care to take a look

The first number is frequency, second number is the absorption coefficient. This is with the panel straddled in the corner, "J" test.

50 Hz .63
63 Hz 1.27
80 Hz 3.00
100 Hz 2.34
125 Hz 2.00
160 Hz 1.85
200 Hz 1.97
250 Hz 2.06
315 Hz 2.09
400 Hz 2.10
500 Hz 1.87
630 Hz 1.66
800Hz 1.42
1000 Hz 1.16
1250 Hz 1.01
1600 Hz .89
2000 Hz .89
2500 Hz .83
3150 Hz .78
4000 Hz .78
5000 Hz .73

Glenn

Diffusion said:
yea, I've seen their products before online, but never heard them... I think they are too over priced... the cheapest panels I have seen are at this website:

http://www.atsacoustics.com/cat--ATS-Acoustic-Absorption-Panels--100.html

I am not so sure about those panels.. One is they have not been tested so they really can not tell you about them. The other thing is they have a wood back on them and if that is the case then there is no way that panel will work right.. Ethan and I were just talking about this last night on the phone. Like him I really believe that acoustic products need to have certified testing to be called a true acoustic product for market.. Just like any other piece of equipment in your room..

Glenn

Diffusion said:
An NRC at 80hz of 3.0!? Wow....

BTW here are the numbers with it placed on the wall, spaced 4"

myfipie said:
I don't get on this forum as much as I should, but I drop in from time to time..

Your location is in the Atlanta area, right? I don't live in Atlanta, but I drive down there pretty often, I work for a firm there. If I decide to buy panels from you, would local pickup be Ok?

Also, do you care to elaborate on the GIK242, the 2" panel a bit... How much does a 2' X 4' panel like this weigh?

Thanks in advance,

Hey,

As to not turn this into a "He is just selling product" would you mind just giving me a call or emailing me?

Glenn

myfipie said:
Hey,

As to not turn this into a "He is just selling product" would you mind just giving me a call or emailing me?

Glenn

Yeah, that's fine... The same thought crossed my mind as well... After visiting your site last night I had planned on calling today anyways... Now, since you've showed up here, at least I have a name/person I can ask for when calling... Expect my call today...

Thanks in advance,

Zetajazz44 said:
http://www.gikacoustics.com/index.htm

Has anyone tried these panels? If so, what are your take on them?

Thanks in advance,
I've seen/heard? them in person and I think they are a good product for the money. I would be hard-pressed to build one or two of these for what you can buy them from GIK. I haven't bought any of my own because I plan to DIY a bunch myself at some point in the future. Mass production is the only way I can see a person getting a better value from DIY. Plus, Glenn seems like a class act. He seems proud of his product and unintimidated by die-hard DIYers that claim you can get off cheaper going DIY. I say "Bravo!"

I don't know about anyone else but I would feel a lot more comfortable buying a product if I knew what exactly went into it and how it was made. Not so I can duplicate it, but just so I know the quality of the product.

Myriad_Rocker said:
I don't know about anyone else but I would feel a lot more comfortable buying a product if I knew what exactly went into it and how it was made. Not so I can duplicate it, but just so I know the quality of the product.

Yeah, me too.. And if you are able to drive there and pick them up and save shipping, you're really not going to save a lot of money DIY anyways...

I figured it would cost me about $30 each to build them myself... At that, I have no 'guarantee' they will be doing what they are supposed to do, and I will have spent time doing it, which these days has become a premium...

It's hard for me to figure how, in my situation, I'd go wrong buying them from him.. I've not called him as yet, I've been so busy today, but he'll hear from me before the day is over...

myfipie said:
TravisinFlorida,

Glenn here from GIK Acoustics.. If you would like give me a call toll free at 1 866 667 1569 and I can answer any questions you may have..
One correction I would like to make that the last poster made is it is more then just wrapped fiberglass and if I may say that our lab numbers show that.. But he is right you can make panels that can work pretty darn well also. In fact if I may brag for one second, :D, we have a new panel that we just got testing back from Riverbank Acoustical Laboratories.. Here are just a few numbers. I can send anyone PFD's of the lab reports if you care to take a look

The first number is frequency, second number is the absorption coefficient. This is with the panel straddled in the corner, "J" test.

50 Hz .63
63 Hz 1.27
80 Hz 3.00
100 Hz 2.34
125 Hz 2.00
160 Hz 1.85
200 Hz 1.97
250 Hz 2.06
315 Hz 2.09
400 Hz 2.10
500 Hz 1.87
630 Hz 1.66
800Hz 1.42
1000 Hz 1.16
1250 Hz 1.01
1600 Hz .89
2000 Hz .89
2500 Hz .83
3150 Hz .78
4000 Hz .78
5000 Hz .73

Glenn

I would'nt mind having those lab reports. Send to Travis19773@yahoo.com. I would also be interested in any specifics of the tests like room size, spacing of the panels, number of panels used, etc.

BTW, I did'nt say "fiberglass". I said rockwool. It does'nt matter either way I suppose. I found this in the FAQ on your site:

Q: What acoustic materials are in the panels?

A: 4" inch thick 8 pounds per cubic square foot acoustic mineral treatment.

I can't think of too many materials that are 24" x 28" x 4", 8# pcf density, and would be referred to as a "mineral treatment". I have to say, it sounds like rockwool. Care to elaborate?

Also this:

Q: What kind of fabric are you using?

A: We hand selected a black and natural white canvas fabric that is durable; appealing to the eye, but thin enough to minimize effects on the sound.

And this from ebay:

Q: Some of the other companies have the frame on the side, yours are on the back. Why?

A: A: This is part of the reason ours are much more effective. Wood side frames will reflect sound, which is not good. We put the frame on the back to act as a spacer. If you can, mount them off the wall farther to make them even more effective on the low end.

From reading those Q's and A's, I made an assumption that these panels are rockwool, wrapped in fabric, with a wood frame on the back. Maybe my assumption was wrong. I'm not trying to talk down your product. I'm just calling it as I see it.

TravisinFlorida said:
I have'nt used them but I know that they are just rockwool wrapped in fabric with a wood frame on the back for mounting/spacing. Why don't you make your own? Hell, I could make you some for cheaper than that.

Travis,

I bet you couldn't if you were a bonifide company - GIK pays a certified company to test their products - I would expect that those testing costs have to be passed on to the consumer...........

So perhaps you could make up some stuff and send it to someone - but they would not have a clue as to the value of it at any frequency........ so what exactly would you be seeling them (much cheaper of course).........

Think about it - it's one thing to make a few bucks on the sided - another thing altogether to run an actual business..........

FWIW - the GIK products are a very good buy for the investment...........

SIncerely,

Rod

Did'nt mean to start a war in here. I'm sure those panels perform fine. I never said a bad word about them. Hey, if you don't want to build your own or don't have the resources/tools to do it, then by em. It's a good service for the non DIY person. It's as simple as that. I see it more as a service than a product though.

I won't include any names but it has already been stated on this BBS that getting a material/product acoustically tested is'nt that expensive. I suppose it makes sense, if you're selling a product, to have some test data to help sell your product/service. But, if the product is made out of readily available materials that have already been acoustically tested, then why would I need a company to sell me those materials for a profit when I can obtain them myself for less money?

I'm not liking the vibe going on in this thread. This is HOME RECORDING! To me, that means a pretty fair amount of DIY is going to be involved at all stages of the recording process. We're not just musicians. We are people that educate ourselves on all subjects involved in the recording process be it recording techniques, musical performance, gear selection, gear modifying/building, studio construction, etc. The whole reason this thread was started is because a home recordist was looking for a way to get some acoustic treatment in his home studio. So what the hell is wrong with me for sugguesting that he build it himself? I even told him that I could build some for less money than he could buy them for from a company. This was assuming that he did'nt want to build the absorbers himself. The funny thing is that the product in question is (I assume) made from readily available materials that other people have already researched. The whole point of the Home Recording BBS is freely sharing information to help fellow home studio owners.

Back