9x7 big enough for drum room? What about this control room....

tubedude

Ok, I'm thinking I'm going to divide this open 20x20 open space like this for versatility...
to the bottom left of the 20x20 space is a 9foot wide garage door, leaving 9 feet 3 inches wide, by 20 feet deep, to the right of the door, and 20 feet deep. If I section it off, I can make a 9x7 drum booth (is this big enough to pack the drums in with mic stands? thinking it might be too small) and a 10x9 foot control room with a 3 foot walk space in between, where the glass doors will be located. I will frame the control room out square, and then add two short walls on the inner 10 foot walls to make the angles leading away from the mix station. In other words, I'm starting the angled wall at about 4 feet back from the 10 foot wall where the mix station is, and having it angled towards the center of the wall in front of the mix station, going 3 feet in from the corner, on both sides.
This will give me some space to pull my car into the garage (barely)during inclement weatherm and I can use the open space for whatever recording purposes I choose. Since the open space will be 10x16 or so with 18 foot ceilings, it might make a good reverb chamber of some sort. I am going to make about two 3x4 booths at the back of the car side for amps and shit.
SHould I shave a foot off the control room and add it to the drum booth?
I am going to put a 9 or 10 foot ceiling in these, by the way, as the 18 footer would be to hard and expensive to frame all the way up to.
Paul

Back