1500-2000$ Budget

lank81

Hi Guys,
Got rid of my recording stuff about a year ago and am looking to get back in to the game. Originally I was running a Digi 002 Rack, DMP-3, SM81 x2, SM57, CAD M179, AKG D112, and a few other misc mics, as well as a pair of HSM50 monitors. I'm not looking to get this much right now and will basically be recording acoustic, electric, and vocals. Pop Rock / Alt Rock will be the genre. I may record some drums but it'll be minimal and I won't use more than 4 mics. As for DAW I'll either use Reaper with my Windows system or Logic Express with my Mac. Suggestions?

I've got acoustic treatment set, just basically looking @ mics/monitors/AI.

On eBay, you can grab another pair of your Yamahas for under $300. Sweetwater currently has the M-Audio CX5 going for very little right now as well; allegedly a marked improvement over the BX5.

You ever consider monitoring through cans?

NO.

Since you have the cash, I say try and find a pair of Hs80m's. They sound fan-freaking-tastic. For an interface, I would say go with something small like maybe a presonus firestudio mobile, and then get some external pre's so you can track drums. Also, I love both reaper and logic (I own them both). I prefer logic over reaper, only because it has TONS of built in instruments, and I am to cheap to buy plugins/Vst's/AU's etc. If you aren't doing much with midi though, I say just stick with reaper.

Drew

As an audio interface, i would recomend MOTU 896 hd or the original model. Look for them new on ebay and they usually go for like 500! sometimes even less! They originally cost more than twice that and can record at 192 kHz!!!

Back