writing a songwriter bio??

mjr

ADD -- blessing and curse
I have a very simple question. If I wanted to, how would I write a songwriter bio, especially if I'm just starting out? As a lot of you know, I have written some songs I might eventually want to pitch, and I was just curious (I think it would be helpful to go along with a good demo). I don't know if it would be relevant to know or not, but I am a member of BMI.

Thanks for any information.

Naturally it depends on what you are writing the bio for - to get a publishing deal, a showcase gig, etc. In my humble opinon, a bio which does not have "third party" evidence to substantiate - means nothing. A bio needs to include newpaper articles, press releases, etc. to actually impress anyone in the industry.

Naturally for a new writer with little or no track record - there may be nothing available. I will now share slightly deceptive, but reasonably effective ways to achive "third party evidence".

If you have local community newpapers (or "underground" entertainment newspapers) - pay to take out an add, as an example - mjr releases newest CD at CD release party on 3/30/07. Over 200 people crammed the ABC club to see mjr perform songs from his recent independant release on mjr records After the performance, at least 30 people stood in line to purchase the CD and have mjr sign pictures and tee shirts...blah blah blah. If you are paying for an add, perhaps you can even get a "reporter" from the rag to conduct an interview and reference your small but well equiped recording studio and include some quotes.

Or, print a few flyers (nartually in different colors and fonts) advertising various gigs in which mjr will open for the XYZ band (playing his original material..... blah, blah) at the ABC club (or even better - mjr will headline ABC club).

Naturally, actual achievments (in which you can claim your material appeared in x film on on x artist's CD - or even if you really headlined ABC club) is better. But if you can't dazzle with brilliance....baffle with bullshit.

Obviously, it is be

mikeh said:
Naturally it depends on what you are writing the bio for - to get a publishing deal, a showcase gig, etc. In my humble opinon, a bio which does not have "third party" evidence to substantiate - means nothing. A bio needs to include newpaper articles, press releases, etc. to actually impress anyone in the industry.

Naturally for a new writer with little or no track record - there may be nothing available. I will now share slightly deceptive, but reasonably effective ways to achive "third party evidence".

If you have local community newpapers (or "underground" entertainment newspapers) - pay to take out an add, as an example - mjr releases newest CD at CD release party on 3/30/07. Over 200 people crammed the ABC club to see mjr perform songs from his recent independant release on mjr records After the performance, at least 30 people stood in line to purchase the CD and have mjr sign pictures and tee shirts...blah blah blah. If you are paying for an add, perhaps you can even get a "reporter" from the rag to conduct an interview and reference your small but well equiped recording studio and include some quotes.

Or, print a few flyers (nartually in different colors and fonts) advertising various gigs in which mjr will open for the XYZ band (playing his original material..... blah, blah) at the ABC club (or even better - mjr will headline ABC club).

Naturally, actual achievments (in which you can claim your material appeared in x film on on x artist's CD - or even if you really headlined ABC club) is better. But if you can't dazzle with brilliance....baffle with bullshit.

Obviously, it is be

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to mikeh again.

Not bad ideas.
Here in Dallas, there are a few "independent" magazines I could probably put ads in (D Magazine, Dallas Observer come to mind), although their target market might not work too well for me. I'd love to put one in my hometown newspaper (I call it my hometown because it was where I was born and raised, and I want to move back there). I know a guy that works there, or used to work there (I'm not sure), so I might be able to get an "interview".

Perform, perform, perform...... Everywhere and anywhere. If you just aren't into performing live then get as many performers as possible to play your songs out and mention your name. Have them mention you as a writer in THEIR local interviews. Then cut their clippings and highlight the parts that mention your work. Best of luck. ;)

up-fiddler said:
Perform, perform, perform...... Everywhere and anywhere. If you just aren't into performing live then get as many performers as possible to play your songs out and mention your name. Have them mention you as a writer in THEIR local interviews. Then cut their clippings and highlight the parts that mention your work. Best of luck. ;)

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to up-fiddler again.

mjr said:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to up-fiddler again.

Thanks. The reps are nice but the thought is far more important. Good luck with your music. ;)

Back