Writing Lyrics for the Music

ido1957

9K Gold Member
Mike wrote some music sent me the mp3 and I tried my hand at writing some lyrics to go with it. It's an interesting exercise writing lyrics for the music. I almost always write music for the lyrics (with some lyrical edits if the music draws me in a certain direction). This is not in my range; Mike will probably do a better job at the vocals ;) . Still a work in progress, I can see paring it down by a verse/chorus (maybe 2) and adding a bridge. Let me know what you think...

Mike called the piece "I LIke it That Way" and here's the results....

"I Like it That Way"

People always tell me, not to do the things I do
But I like to take my chances, rolled the dice a time or two
Living on the edge you know, it makes me feel alive
There’s too many sheltered souls just happy to get by

My life is right, I feel alive, no matter what they say
They don’t understand me but, you know I like it that way

Drive a little faster than the signs say I should go
Go all the way, no compromise, I never take it slow
The throttle’s to the max but still I never lose control
Don’t just take it on, I give it all my heart and soul

They can try to change my mind but I won’t play their game

Got a love of life you know I like to drink it up
It goes down nice and easy sometimes I can’t get enough
They keep holding back I’m sure it makes them feel alright
Can’t wait till tomorrow cause I feel so good tonight

What works for you don’t work for me, cause we’re just not the same

I like a taste of danger feel it running through my veins
It just fires me up and now I do it everyday
Never worry about it coming crashing down on me
It ain’t for the faint of heart or those too blind to see

Taking their advice to heart, would be my first mistake

Climbing all these mountains, it can take the strength from me
Never go for second best, I take it to extremes
For simple satisfaction, that’s how hard some people try
It’s all a distraction, while the good things pass them by

This life might have its dangers, that’s a risk I’ll have to take

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=15298

That's great, ido1957! The sound is somewhat reminiscient of Brian Setzer and the Stray Cats.

The only thing I could imagine changing is dropping "you know" from the choruses.

For example, instead of...

How about...

They don’t understand me but I like it that way

To my ears it sounds more natural to slightly drag out the words "I" and "like" instead of squeezing in "you know".

But it's fine the way it is and I enjoyed it.

Mike liked the verses. Leaning towards his own interpretation of a melody. We worked on this last night. The key was just too low. We transposed this up from Am to Cm. That really opened up the vocal range allowing Mike to get much more melodic with the singing. He's going to work on this today in the new key with my lyrics.

I found I was restricted for vocal melody by the original key. If I write for someone else I'll try and remember to write for their vocal range.

:D

First off - nice job on writing lyrics to spec........clearly a sign of a writer that has developed skill and craft!!!!!

I found I was restricted for vocal melody by the original key. If I write for someone else I'll try and remember to write for their vocal range.

:D

For what it's worth - after writing for a long time and finally starting to get published.......I had to starting writing in keys for the singers I used - rather then in keys the worked for my voice (in particular if I wrote a song from a female perspective).

It can really improve your writing skills once you are forced to think about different keys and writing for someone.

One of the hardest things I've found is having to re-record if I picked a wrong key. There have been times I wrote a song in say G........but them recording it in maybe B (thinking that was a better key for the singer).....and them finding the key doesn't work. I've had songs that I recorded in 3 or 4 different keys. Then often, the guitar riff that was killer in G doesn't work well in B (or whatever key).

Now I try to keep the demo mostly in MIDI (maybe except for a key guitar riff) until the singer comes down......it sure saves a lot of re-recording.

First off - nice job on writing lyrics to spec........clearly a sign of a writer that has developed skill and craft!!!!!
Thanks for the kind words mikeh, it's much appreciated!

I've had songs that I recorded in 3 or 4 different keys. Then often, the guitar riff that was killer in G doesn't work well in B (or whatever key).
So true, guitars are finnicky that way...

Now I try to keep the demo mostly in MIDI (maybe except for a key guitar riff) until the singer comes down......it sure saves a lot of re-recording.
Great idea - reminds me to work on my "less than prolific" keyboard skills. I mainly write on guitar but occasionally write on keyboard...

Back