Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Writing Lyrics

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by TAE View Post
    ...when we can let our "real world senses" back off...
    That does appear to be a common theme in many of these experiences.

But such behaviour comes with a threat to social cohesion. People are, by and large, programmed to "rein in" their "other senses" (giving rein to their "real world senses" may be a more accurate description), resulting in our much valued, but mundane, social regimen swamping and choking our artistic proclivities. The idea of freedom of the mind being considered a threat to society is very thought provoking, in itself. Art is the final bastion of expression, where ideas have been dumped like a toxin in a condemned building.

And, as we reach into that place with tongs, and withdraw constipated fragments of "creativity", is it a wonder that we struggle? Through our own volition, we flee the freedom of our own mind, afraid of the nature of what we think, and what others think of what we think.

Thoughts are whispered and intimated tortuously in the mind games of lyrics, then rupture in a hypnotic skirl of rap words, like a noxious gas through a blown gasket. Or a suppressed infant throwing a tantrum, society's child taking after its parent.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kickingtone View Post
    That does appear to be a common theme in many of these experiences.

But such behaviour comes with a threat to social cohesion. People are, by and large, programmed to "rein in" their "other senses" (giving rein to their "real world senses" may be a more accurate description), resulting in our much valued, but mundane, social regimen swamping and choking our artistic proclivities. The idea of freedom of the mind being considered a threat to society is very thought provoking, in itself. Art is the final bastion of expression, where ideas have been dumped like a toxin in a condemned building.

And, as we reach into that place with tongs, and withdraw constipated fragments of "creativity", is it a wonder that we struggle? Through our own volition, we flee the freedom of our own mind, afraid of the nature of what we think, and what others think of what we think.

Thoughts are whispered and intimated tortuously in the mind games of lyrics, then rupture in a hypnotic skirl of rap words, like a noxious gas through a blown gasket. Or a suppressed infant throwing a tantrum, society's child taking after its parent.
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2018 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

Thanks
    Really interesting read here and it seems the consensus amongst a lot of songwriters is that the lyrics come after the music. I am no different. Words fit around the music based on the melody you can hear and hum along to when you've got an instrumental base to grow out from. It's encouraging to hear that a lot of people don't view lyrics particularly importantly - I know there are definitely two camps of people on this. I'm absolutely in the opinion that music conveys emotion and it's through this emotion a song connects to a listener. Sometimes, it is indeed the words that will connect a listener to the song more than anything else. But I think the music has to set that emotive context in the first place. It's definitely an interesting topic. As all "art" is subjective, people can take whatever they want from a set of words or phrase. For me, melody > words.

Thanks
    I've done a few songs where the lyrics came first, I really like when that happens!

[edit]
    I forgot to add that I've done a couple of songs after reading friends' poetry. Sometimes one just bites you in the ass and you can hear the song as you read the poem. That's a powerful creationary experience, IMO.
    [/edit]
    Last edited by YellowDwarf; 09-27-2018 at 13:53. Reason: Forgot to say ...
    I've got a fun new Christmas song out, The Elves Christmas Song!

Thanks
    I too have written some songs that began with the lyrics. Sometimes....all the lyrics and sometimes just a line or two or three. When I write a complete song, with all the lyrics first.........I find I've pretty much written a poem that needs to be set to music.....which is not good for me music wise......for some reason. It seems more confining to me. If I begin with just the music or just a line or two of lyrics......the end result for me is usually more enjoyable. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Just A Song Writer..........

Thread Information