Write music first or lyrics first?

Do you write the music first or the lyrics first?

• Music first

Votes: 154 80.2%
  • Lyrics first

Votes: 38 19.8%

• Total voters
I write the music first. The rhythm of the vocal melody is usually in my head before I write the lyrics for it.

Lyrics first, if it has lyrics. Actually, I work from a title or phrase, which usually dictates something melodically, then go from there with a bare outline of what I want to say and then put the rest of the music together. Then its back to write the lyric and develop phrasing, usually away from the studio and any instruments. Then a second look at melody and chords and possible alternatives. Then a scratch recording and it's on to the recording process.

It depends for me. I either get a good vocal tune in my head, and then write the lyrics, and then after I would write the instruments. But sometimes i get a good catchy guitar riff in my head, so I will use that as the base.

Music first.
Let the melody tell you what the song is about (how does it make you feel?,happy?sad?)

Then, ..hum your melody to the music (you can use lyrics, but don't get attached to them)

I always try to keep The Polices "Doo Doo Doo, De Da Da Da" in mind. These 'lyrics' mean nothing, but SERVE the song perfect!

Great songs are not written in one sitting, and usually don't come as easy as throwing some lyrics up that fit the chords of the song (I've found this a problem with many punk rock songwriters).

The 'way' you sing something is what will get the audiences attention, and you may find, as I did...that everything sort of 'falls into place' when you have your melody nailed. (ie. guits/drums/arrangement)

(another song I keep in mind is "in the jungle". Everyone knows the 'melody'...)

Hope this helps,

-LIMiT

I find it goes either way for me. Some days I have written the melody and then the lyrics just fit in perfect (which is awesome when that happens). But sometimes I get some decent lyrics and wont get the melody till sometime after and it works the other way as well, I get the melody and can't get the right lyrics to fit in.

Music

I vote music first. My guitar player/songwriting partner prefers lyrics first, so it’s hard for us to get things done if you can imagine.

Never really matters I don't reckon. After a while, like for me anyway, I have bits of paper and song lyrics and music everywhere. I'm happy to match up whatever I can to whatever I can. I reckon out of about 150 - 200 ideas for music for a song, and about 50 - 100 or so lyric ideas, I've only recorded 1 or 2 songs with both music and words that I am happy with.

You get that though when you rarely record. But, I live in a concrete unit right now. It's terrible for recording. I need a house

Same time or not at all. I write a song when i'm doodling along on guitar or piano, no chords set, no music set. A line pops into my head, and then it writes itself.

I voted 'music first' because that's how it usually goes. Sometimes I pick up the acoustic and come up with a chord progression, and sometimes I get an idea for a song (usually a main chorus lyric hook), and I see what fits with the chord progressions I have been working on - and/or I'll modify the chord progression to make it work.

I can never get it to work unless they're both at the same time. Like I can come up with a lyrical hook, but it immediately suggests a melody to me and I go from there. I can write lyrics for days and end up with nothing but a legal pad with no more blank pages. I can couch pick for months and never end up with something that suggests a lyrical theme.

HOWEVER, I've had a few instrumental things that someone else decided to try and write lyrics to. I was so threatened that i scribbled out my own lyrics and finished the songs - 100% cephus. I hate myself for that, but it did make me more productive.

Back