What key is this vocal melody in?

brotman

Hi guys.

Could somebody please help what key this vocal melody is in? I think it is being sung in the key of F#m. When it goes up in the chorus, it lands on the B.

The problem is I think the key of the song with the guitar changes is actually Bm. I think I am singing a disguised harmony. But I'm not sure if this is true, and even if it is true, maybe thats OK?

I also have at the link the same song with the guitars replayed transposed to the key of F#m. I like the guitars better up in Bm but if I need them to be in this key then that's OK.

Could people please let me know which one they like better? I'd appreciate any help or insight.

(P.S. This is not the final vocal take but it is the right basic melody.)

Here is the link to the songs:

https://soundcloud.com/thestammer/sets/what-key-song/s-Nw81Y

I prefer the first take.

The first song is in the key of Bm/D major. The second is in the key of F#m/A major.

Thanks for replying, but what I'm still confused as to what key the vocal melody is in. I know that the cord changes are in the key of Bm for the first, and F#m in the second, but what about the melody? Also it is the same vocal take, do you mean that you prefer the melody against the Bm cords? My main question is, does the vocal melody work against the cord changes in the Bm song?

I prefer the first take.

The first song is in the key of Bm/D major. The second is in the key of F#m/A major.

Sorry, I guess I didn't read the post closely enough.

The melody you're singing is in the key of Bm. This is most evident because of the G note (on "right beside"). In the key of F#m, you'd normally have a G#.

And yes, I prefer the melody over the first version with the Bm chords.

thanks!

Thanks so much. I thought I was landing on a g#. I see now it goes roughly F#, A, F#, G

Any guess on what the notes on the chorus are? This thing is really throwing me. I don't usually have problems this bad but I can't figure out what notes I'm trying to hit. My best guess is F#, G, A? (I might try and sing it up higher at B, C#, D if it ends up sounding right.)

Sorry, I guess I didn't read the post closely enough.

The melody you're singing is in the key of Bm. This is most evident because of the G note (on "right beside"). In the key of F#m, you'd normally have a G#.

And yes, I prefer the melody over the first version with the Bm chords.

To me, with the chords you have in the Bm version, it seems as though the melody should be:

In(F#) your(G) arms(A - D). (However, you kind of sing A - E on "arms")

There(D) was(E) no(F#) one that could reach(G) me

But instead of F# and G, you sing more G# and A there.

Now, that's just my impression with the chords you have for that section which are D, F#m, G. (The bass plays in inversion the second time through, C# beneath the F#m and D beneath the G, but the chords are still the same basically).

If you wanted have the G# to A melody (which is cool) on "no one that could reach me," you could maybe try E major to G instead of F#m to G. I don't know if that would take the song in a direction you don't want, but it sounds cool to me.

Anyway, hope that all makes sense.

thanks

thanks! I can't believe how off I was on the notes I was trying to hit. I really have a hard time being objective when It's my own voice. This gives me a good place to start working on this again.

To me, with the chords you have in the Bm version, it seems as though the melody should be:

In(F#) your(G) arms(A - D). (However, you kind of sing A - E on "arms")

There(D) was(E) no(F#) one that could reach(G) me

But instead of F# and G, you sing more G# and A there.

Now, that's just my impression with the chords you have for that section which are D, F#m, G. (The bass plays in inversion the second time through, C# beneath the F#m and D beneath the G, but the chords are still the same basically).

If you wanted have the G# to A melody (which is cool) on "no one that could reach me," you could maybe try E major to G instead of F#m to G. I don't know if that would take the song in a direction you don't want, but it sounds cool to me.

Anyway, hope that all makes sense.

Back