What factors make a song "danceable"

Toasta Whales

I've been listening to Skeletal Lamping by of Montreal lately. If you aren't familiar with the album, here's a link to its lead single "Id Engager".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHFUXH4PP5c

While listening to the album I was amazed at how Kevin Barnes (the singer, sole songwriter, producer, and basically the entire band in the studio) was able to craft songs so suitable for the dancefloor, but still retaining musical interest. Was it just a clever combination of the drums (which are midi) and bass guitar, a drive of its own, or just the anthemic quality of many of the songs on the album and their melodic value? I really want to know, to me this is an interesting subject and I am hoping to put together some songs of my own in that vein.

well, as a lover of all music and having some (and i mean not alot) knowledge of rythyms, i think if you listen to about 90% of any dance song or techno tune you'll be able to hear a clear, driving 4-4 beat with every other beat being accented. its gives it that 1-2, 1-2 sound. of course, that is for a more cliche sort of dance music, which isnt always a bad thing. i dont write that style of music, but hearing that sort of thing on the radio i can tell you this the 2 most important components in order: 1. a drving, catchy beat and 2. a catchy, simple riff played somewhat repetitively. thats what ive found any how. hope that helps.

Any dance music, be it waltz, tarantella, jive, swing, rock, disco etc., is based on a clear (not necessarily loud or driving), predictable beat & rhythm carried by the melody &/or the accompaniment.
In terms of the vid song it's the disco bass octaves & disco drums (though not as much hi hat as a lot of disco used). The melody doesn't really carry the dance feel (like a lot of disco). It drops the predictability and rhythm with the changes so only the initiated would dance all the way through without having to readjust their boogie compass.

A catchy beat is going to make people dance. Sometimes it can be simplistic sometimes it can be a little more than that. CalebMcC hit the nail right on the head so there's no need to repeat what he said.

Most hit songs become so because they're danceable. People may remember the lyrics later, but let's be honest. If you're in a club and you first hear the lyrics, if you don't know the song that's about to come next, you're still sitting or standing there. Once you recognize the beat or it just moves you in one way or another, then you're out on the dance floor.

135-145 beats per minute. This tempo sub divides the pulse into secondary and dominant beats that drives a physiological response to motion. If you have a drum machine set up a 4/4 bass drum pattern on 1+3 at 140 then add 8th note Hi-Hat over it. Listen for four bars and see if you don't tap your foot. Overlay droning bass lines, growling feedback guitar, squeely synth, rap verses, ensemble vocal choruses, build it up, break it down, take it out with repetitive choruses and you have the formula for a dance tune.

Back