Two new song demos

famous beagle

Hey y'all,

I've posted demos for two new songs, along with some eye candy graphics for fun. I'd love to hear any comments or criticisms.

British:
YouTube - British

and

Snakebite:
YouTube - Snakebite

(actually "Snakebite" was on here a few years ago, but it was made on a little voice recorder and sounded really scratch.)

Thanks!

not bad, snake bite works better as a purely acoustic track. british kind of sounds like an acoustic version of a song that would usualy be played with other stuff going on, maybe try overdubing a second guitar. i am british, it aint all its cracked up to be

Thanks for the listen Rick. I agree about "Snakebite" sounding better as an acoustic track---although both tracks will soon be recorded with a full band. The acoustic will largely carry "Snakebite" though, whereas "British" may be more keyboard-driven.

" i am british, it aint all its cracked up to be "

Ha! That's funny. It's not really a song about me wanting to be British; it's more so about being comfortable with who and what you are and accepting things over which you have no control (and accepting the same thing about others). I just used the nationality thing as an example (i.e., you can't help where you're born).

Thanks again for the feedback!

As a demo, it gets the idea across, and that's all you need or want. You could use it as a singer/songwriter piece, but there's a few things I'd do first. Of course, your first question is 'Who the f*ck are you?', and you'd be right on the money there. But, I still say if you gated the acoustic (those squeeks from sliding to and from chords are driving me bananas), and brought the vocals more up front, or they had more mids and bottom end, either song would work just fine as a solo acoustic piece. They're fine songs.

Nice, The first one is kinda Nick Drake-ish, IMO. I agree the guitar "talk" is anoying but I don't see how the vocals could be more up front. Might sound nice on a nylon string.

Ranjam - Thanks for the kind words. Yeah I didn't really even bother with the acoustic squeaks. This is just one track live of acoustic and vocals on one mic. I hadn't planned for these to be solo pieces, but it's nice to hear that you think they could stand up that way.

Harry - Interesting about the Nick Drake thing. I've heard very little of him, though I've heard an awful lot about him. Thanks for the listen!

Beaglemeister.... really, the string squeaks are OTT... try putting your (clean) hands in hot water for 30 seconds before a take... works wonders.

Nice song though - I'd rethink the vocals on "mountain" a bit too much up and down... otherwise, nice stuff... like the little breakdown in British too.

Good one!

i dont think your making that amount of squeeking with your playing, i just think your recordings picking up a lot of squeek in comparison to the rest of the guitar sound. try pointing your mic away from the neck (usualy the source of squeeks), if your just using one mic try pointing it inbetween the brindge and the sound hole and position it about a foot away from the guitar.

Thanks for the feedback y'all. While I appreciate the tips on reducing the acoustic squeek, I really wasn't concerned with that at all. I just threw up one mic and recorded the vocals and acoustic live.

I was really wanting feedback more on the writing --- lyrics, melody, chords, etc.

Back