Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tempo

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post

I'll usually get a feel for the song at the writing stage
    Quote Originally Posted by Xdrummer View Post
    Often, when I am in the writing stage - I can normally find a tempo where the vocals and the guitars seem to work
    It's quite rare that I'll get to the recording stage without having spent some time chewing the song over in my mind and therefore the tempo kind of naturally falls into line as I hum it over and over or think about it.
    Over the last few months, I've written about 18 songs and they vary wildly in tempo. And a few of them have changed and most of them are multi part so they have different parts in them with different tempos. I've used drum tracks from older/already existing songs to make up the drum parts and so I've really been thinking a lot about tempo recently as I fly in the drums from one DAW to another. Some keep the original tempo of the song they're coming from but for the most part, I've sped them up or slowed them down as they're being transferred {in real time}. I have been finding it quite fascinating how a tiny difference can make such a change to the feel. For example, my Akai's centre point is 100% and it goes up to 113% and down to 68% so if we were dealing in pitch it goes up just over 2 steps and down just over 5 steps. That's pretty brisk to druggily slow. But a change from even 95 to 94 is so different.
    In the past I've worked on songs for years that I always had a nagging feeling were a bit too fast or too slow and ended up re-recording.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xdrummer View Post
    when I move to the arranging/recording stage - suddenly when I add a bass guitar or drums etc. the song then seems to drag.
    At least with the bass, that has worked as a positive advantage for me sometimes. Something that feels too quick or jerky suddenly seems to settle down and feel just right once the bass is there. I'm realizing that sometimes, it's not so much the tempo but the rhythmic feel that can make a song feel out of sorts.

Thanks
    Phase 2: spantini goes "Duhhh.."

Well, after days of 136 bpm this monster began to feel rushed again. So... down it went.. and landed smack on 126 bpm. I played it over and over and over and THIS time it's right. Nothing feels rushed, especially the vocal, it's very relaxed and flows well. It's even tighter with the drums. What helped a lot was expanding the simple drum part (used as click track) into more of what the actual part will be in the final version - about 80% of it with accent beats to play off of. I got lucky and found a groove in MTPower Drums that nailed it.

The song is just verse and refrain with a break at midpoint for lead guitar.

Now I've got a couple of nice, puffy blisters on my fingers so I'm gonna lay off for a day and see if they toughen up any.
    Failure - - the path of least persistence
    And, uh, oh - hire a decorator to come in here quick, 'cause... DAMN.

Thanks
    I can see where you could feel that the timing might be off on, especially if there are different sections. Rick Beato did a whole segment about how computer timing and things like BeatDetective ruined rock music because it took out the humanity. He showed how a bunch of really popular songs with real instruments had variations of 5 or 6 BPM depending on the section, and how new songs were quantized to have everything exactly on a straight beat.

My timing isn't that precise. Instead of click tracks, I would rather just get a simple drum beat and follow that with either MTPowerdrumkit, or my Alesis SR18. If I still knew any real drummers around my area, I would get them to join me and put the drum machine in the closet.

Thanks
    When I step edit drum parts I don't use the Quantize feature, but I do go through and offset selected notes by various amounts, such as dragging the notes left or right by the equivalent of a 1/64th, 1/32nd or 1/16th note length. The MT Power groove I'm using in this song has already got some of this incorporated, which was a nice surprise to discover.

I tried and tried using a simple click track but couldn't stay sync'ed. Not because I was off, I was in time all the way through. But there are spots where I hit the upbeat and it puts me just that much ahead of the click, and it doesn't sync up again until I do it three or four more times. Meanwhile, the effect this has (to my ears) is that the tempo has greatly speeded up and I unconciously speed up to follow and it all falls apart at that point.

With the right drum groove it matches my strumming and stays locked in.
    Failure - - the path of least persistence
    And, uh, oh - hire a decorator to come in here quick, 'cause... DAMN.

Thanks
    Speed the music up and sing in a lower key.

Thread Information