Songwriter's Convention

Chili

Site Moderator
This weekend I went to a songwriter's convention here in Austin. It was informative and a lot of fun. ( www.AustinSongwritersGroup.com ) First time going to something like this. They had classes on songwriting, marketing, self-publishing and stuff like that. They also had some of Texas' best songwriters there to give advice and play their songs.

I got to pitch one of my songs to several Nashville exec types. It didn't get picked up, but for a moment, I thought it might. The song was the one which Anfontan played the tele-twang lead (You and Me). I believe his effort was the main reason it got any consideration. That sound hooked everybody in the room right away.

The pitch session was set up where there were about 15 people in the room, each with his/her one song to pitch to publishers. Most of the songs were country, some singer/songwriter types too, but basically all were slow ballads. When they played mine, everyone perked up and started bobbing heads. Bill and Ruth Carter (SRV's Crossfire) were in the room too and they immediately were saying, yeah this is great. Very cool. I got some good feedback about the weak points in the lyrics and confirmed what I felt about them (and that's what held the song back).

The cool thing is, they would spend a minute after each song talking about it and giving critique. They spent a solid 5 minutes on mine and I could see this one publisher really giving it a serious look and thinking hard about it. In the end, he handed the cd back, but I think I was close with my first attempt at pitching and that was very encouraging. Definitely made the whole weekend worthwhile.

Just thought I'd share.

Cheers,

That's very cool, Chili. You just never know. I haven't heard that song, but I'm sure it's awesome and it must feel great that they spent so much time discussing it. I've got some friends in Austin (almost moved there myself) who do the music thing full time and there's lots of great competition there, so kudos to you!

Jen

Chili - Keep trying. If you got that close.....next time couldbe a charm!!!

I belong to the Nashville Association of Songwriters and they sponser numerous seminars, song camps, etc. etc.

Since I'm in Wisconsin, I can only attend maybe one or two a year (transportation and lodging are not cheap) - but I normally find them informative and I enjoy the chance to meet with and network with other writers and/or industry people. Having a chance to "pitch" a song to Nashville publishers, etc. is something I would never be able to do in Wisconsin.

I think anyone who is "serious" about being a "published" songwriter (meaning someone who has a desire to have songs published and/or recorded by "artists") needs to get to places like Nashville, Austin, LA or any other locations where you have a chance for actual face time with people would can do something with your songs. If you can't move there - you can at least attend some of the seminars, etc. that take place every year.

Excellent Chili - that kind of feedback must feel great! Like Mike said keep trying in the future and best of luck!

That's very cool, Chili. You just never know. I haven't heard that song, but I'm sure it's awesome and it must feel great that they spent so much time discussing it. I've got some friends in Austin (almost moved there myself) who do the music thing full time and there's lots of great competition there, so kudos to you!

Jen

Yeah Jen, you're right. You never know. And Austin is a great place for music. It still has a lot of soul and not as cutthroat as some of the major music hubs.

Chili - Keep trying. If you got that close.....next time couldbe a charm!!!

I belong to the Nashville Association of Songwriters and they sponser numerous seminars, song camps, etc. etc.

I think anyone who is "serious" about being a "published" songwriter (meaning someone who has a desire to have songs published and/or recorded by "artists") needs to get to places like Nashville, Austin, LA or any other locations where you have a chance for actual face time with people would can do something with your songs. If you can't move there - you can at least attend some of the seminars, etc. that take place every year.

Yeah, i agree. To get your stuff published, you've got to connect. That's one reason I was so happy about moving back to Austin. Hey, are you talking about NSAI? Chuck Cannon (former president) gave the keynote speech plus he played some of his songs. Wow!! Makes ya either want to give up writing or work harder.

Excellent Chili - that kind of feedback must feel great! Like Mike said keep trying in the future and best of luck!

Yeah, you know it felt great. I guess that's why I posted. :D Still on a bit of a high from a great weekend. Thanks Ido.

Networking

I hope you got some business cards, shaked some hands and gave your business cards to the people in that room. You had the door open dude. They might not have given it to you right there but if you follow up with a call to them they will start recognizing you are serious and ask you to submit a demo.

I hope you got some business cards, shaked some hands and gave your business cards to the people in that room. You had the door open dude. They might not have given it to you right there but if you follow up with a call to them they will start recognizing you are serious and ask you to submit a demo.

I passed out quite a few. Maybe next year I will put together a mini-presskit. I can see where a full-size one might turn them off because it was a more relaxed atmosphere. I might also try to follow up with an email if possible. Thanks!!

Brilliant man! Well done! :D

For us unpublished writers who never did do much pitching, it's heart-warming to read this thread!

Frankie xxx

Back