Song Temp?

Bloodsoaked

Death Metal Freak
Can a song go from 240 BPM to 200 BPM? I have tried it and it sounds a bit strange, the transition from 240 bpm to 200 bpm. Should there maybe be a break down and then go into the 200? Any sugestions?

Peter

I don't know about songs, but I have known drummers who could go from 200 to 240 and back again in the space of a few measures..lol

chazba

chazba - I'm a drummer, but that made me lol :D

While there are never set rules - I would think a 40 BPM would have to have some type of break (maybe 2 beats more likely 4 beats - assuming a 4/4 song).

Obviously I have no idea what your song songs like - but a 40 bpm tempo change is fairly extreme without some kind of stop.

mikeh said:
chazba - I'm a drummer, but that made me lol :D

While there are never set rules - I would think a 40 BPM would have to have some type of break (maybe 2 beats more likely 4 beats - assuming a 4/4 song).

Obviously I have no idea what your song songs like - but a 40 bpm tempo change is fairly extreme without some kind of stop.

Cool, at least I am getting a drummers perspective. So some kind of stop or a holding of a cord for a few beats wold work? I can hopefully post a clip of what I am trying to do soon. Thank you.

Peter

if u give like a rest or two i dont see why not... alot of the "mars volta" stuff has weird tempo changes that i really dig... songs could be however dude

Tempo changes are generally uncommon, however, in the country genre you 'll often get fiddle tunes that increase in tempo.

Some of the tunes that appear to change tempo are actually doubled in beats (does that make sense?)

A 240 - 200 tempo change is still pretty fast tempo. But it would cause an abrupt change to the feel of the song I would imagine. Maybe post a sample when you get the chance.....

It's funny- since I read your thread, I started noticing tempo changes more in music. One example I found was "Suddenly Everything Has Changed" by The Flaming Lips. It's a pretty big tempo change but it's so subtle I didn't really notice it before. It works well on that song.

I personally think tempo changes aren't used enough let alone to good effect.

You know...does it SOUND right to you that way? Because at the end of it, that's still all that matters.

there was a similar thread where i said the opposite. but i think you should go for the speed change in this song.

that guy didn't want to go 2 bpm's up or down.

i think if its 40, its more thought as intentional and not a slight tempo change.

Back