Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Song Structuring..

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Some of my songs have almost no structure other are very structured. Sometimes it's intentional and other times, like when the song has developed from a jam, it's just the way it came together. As to whether they're good songs either way - it's not for me to say.
    I can say that I like it both ways.

Thanks

Talking try not to plan

I really believe that you shouldn't start out with a structure, this somewhat limits what you can do then. You should really just try and feel the song out. Music ahs become soooo predictable these days anyways.

Keep the faith!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stuy101 View Post
    I really believe that you shouldn't start out with a structure, this somewhat limits what you can do then.
    I agree. Let the lyrics flow. Let the structure come. Not to say that there shouldn't BE structure. But it doesn't have to be V/C/V/B/C or A/A/B/A. But it could be.

Hmm, looking through my book o' lyrics, most of my songs ARE in fact V/C/V/B/C or A/A/B/A. Interesting.
    "When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.'"

Fred Rogers

Thanks
    i'm with the no structure people. let the lyrics take you where ever. after thinking about sections and themes and all that, then listening back to something like...the beatles, i would notice how random their sections were at times, and they still worked.

i have songs that are verse verse verse verse instrumental. some are intro, new section, new section, new section, outro, and of course there are typical verse chorus verse chorus verse chorus verse chorus songs. whatever the lyrics do, go with it. if it doesn't work, you can always restructure, but never stress about what it's not. just work with what it is.

Thanks
    I think it's so much easier if you don't set out to figure out the songs structure. Just jam on the idea and whatever progression comes natural is probably going to be the best natural choice for the song.

Whenever my band would sit down and consciously try to make a complex song with different changes and unexpected choruses in unexpected places, the song fell apart or felt awkward orjust simply never got completed.

9 times out of 10, if it sounds good the first time you are playing it...it will probably be best portrayed that way in its final rendition.

Thanks
    I usuely structure my songs ambigiously. I like to blend chorus and verses together, have extened jams, I also like to change up the rift a lot. When im playing on piano i almost have no structure just certain 4 bar phrases i come back to after soloing.

Thanks
    I'm pretty straight forward I guess in the song writing process. Although I usually write the lyrics first and later write the music to fit the lyrics, and sometimes I write the music first and add the lyrics later (I find it easier to put music to lyrics however), both approaches are usually the same. I usually go for the verse, chorus, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, solo, chorus route with the occasional intro or outro or both. Sometimes I'll go verse verse, chorus, verse verse, chorus, bridge, solo, chorus verse verse, chorus. I don't always use a bridge, but I think it adds a bit "more" to a song. However my favorite song that I've written is the epitimy of simple... with a verse, chorus, verse chorus, solo and then verse and chorus again. My advice is do what sounds good to your ears. If it sounds good, that's what really matters. Usually I'm pretty happy with how my structuring has turned out for me, although I've made the mistake of making a chorus either too short or too long a few times.

Thanks
    I agree with the no structure point of view. Music is not a science, it is an art and works best when done "intuitively" using the right brain rather than the left brain. A structure will emerge without any consciouss thought or planning. Trying to impose a structure usualy risks killing the original inspiration which started the song. When the song is largely finished then you can often use a little "left brain" logical thought to tidy it up a bit if necessary. It all depends what kind of music you are trying to make of course. If you want to make very commercial "poppy" type music then possibly a more formulaic approach is needed. The music which I make is more harmony-based instrumental stuff which I think would be ruined by a rigid structure.

Thanks
    I hate boring music! With that said I've notice when my band gets together to arrange a song it's usually because we have one part we want to do something with. That part maybe a verse or a chorus or even just a bridge part. Whatever it may be we will start playing and jamming it and realize that at some point there needs to be a change. A change doesn't necessarily have to be from a verse to a chorus, or a chorus to a solo, etc. just a dynamic change. Maybe a rise in the tension or even a release. We let that need for a change dictate the structure of a song. I've also noticed with this process that we end up with relatively traditional structures but that's okay because at least it isn't boring and it's palatable to a lot of people.

I guess I would say I agree with the no structure people but technically I don't because I preach structure to my bandmates and the bands I record all the time. There must be a reason or purpose to change to another part. Arbitrary things in music is what makes it boring. I frequent open mics all the time and when there aren't people with prepared songs to play they turn into stranger jam sessions. I've seen some awesome jam sessions but I can only take so much 12 bar blues riffs. I want to hear a song! 15 minutes of G pentatonic will drive just about any normal musician insane! I just think that the emotion will dictate your structure and even a song with "no structure" has a structure. Are you just banging notes arbitrarily with no rhythm or tonality? That's just noise!

Thanks

song structuring/composing

My songs start with a feel that usually comes from a life experience. I make up some chords and string them together and a melody follows behind some very average lyrics.
    I used to keep the average lyrics , not knowing any better, but ive recently realised that its important to re-write. THe initial lyrics were only the creative spirits using any lyrics, even non words for their shape to fit the song.
    I now use this method and its flawless- for me.

Thread Information