Song Structuring..

modern media has had a effect on the way that i 'listen' and i can't remember when was the last time i listened to an album from beginning to end
I can. It was this morning...."Deep Purple in Rock."
I haven't listened to any media outlets where music is concerned since 1976. That way, I am in command of my own listening destiny. I listen to at least one album every day as I'm on my travels.

I haven't listened to any media outlets where music is concerned since 1976. That way, I am in command of my own listening destiny. I listen to at least one album every day as I'm on my travels.
Good choice! And good way to live on your musical journey.. Thats the way it should be.. I have so many albums i've listened to over the years that i've internalized, but i haven't played for years. You have inspired me. Bravo. Today it's Marvin Gaye. "What's Goin On".

You are just a child in time.

As far as structuring goes? I might be repeating myself in the same thread, but..
What do we have to work with, intros, outros, choruses, bridges, verses, time signature change,
key changes,and so on.
How do you want to start the tune? Right into the verse, or start with the chorus?
How about an intro? If so, should there be an outro? Could it be the same as the intro?
Is there going to be a solo? If so, over what? The intro? The outro? The Verse? In the same key?
Are you going to change the tempo or the time signature, another decision.
These are all decisions I make after writing the basic chord progression and lyric.
I rarely if ever? write the lyric before the music. Usually I sit around and hit upon what
I feel is an interesting chord progression and file that away. I have lots of them, not that many lyrics.
I will listen to how that interesting chord progression makes me feel and then write lyrics accordingly?
Now I have a basic lyric to go with a chord progression. Time to start making the aforementioned
decisions. I can always write an intro, bridge, outro, solo etc into the song.
Then once those decisions are made I start to look at the "groove" behind each section to give it
it's own "thing" in the song. Then the building and releasing of tension and overall dynamics are
the next thing I look for. Then again, sometimes it is just straight out balls to the walls rock and roll
without much thinking. That's about how I go about it.

Last edited:
when I first started writing I was just a kid and for the most part, was trying to replicate all the hair bands that were big at the time. I had no clue what structure was or how to format lyrics. hooks and the whole tech side of things. I just wrote and wrote. I'm much older now and I have cycled through several styles of writing including hip-hop and rap and they are different trust me
now I find myself in college for all things music production loving it. the idea that I can have a full studio in my bedroom for the most part is as good as it gets again loving it. my long-winded point is that writing is from within and shouldn't follow anything other than the heart of the writer

Standard is

Verse
Hook
Verse
Hook
Bridge
Hook

Also can do a bridge between verse and hook that is different to the bridge in 3rd verse. Can also repeat the hook twice at the end.
Depending on what melodies and words your inspiration gives you you can also add variation to this basic sheme.

I am not a fan of boring music either yet sometimes a song has such a hypnotic groove it can put you into a trance...
Music can be a world unto itself. Create a world... put a piece of your soul into it. An incredible power we have!

Back