Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: software that will write/transpose recorded music into sheet music?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Austin TX and surrounding area
    Posts
    233
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    software that will write/transpose recorded music into sheet music?

    Sign in to disable this ad
    i am looking for software that will listen to pre-recorded music and write it into sheet music...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Louth, Ireland
    Age
    28
    Posts
    373
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    1418895
    You're going to be hard pushed for a program that can do that. What is your goal? do you want scores to songs you like in order to learn them? do you want to score your own music? etc.
    God this signature is outdated

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    576
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    3876713
    There is pitch-to-midi software, but it's not going to handle much more than a single line. It won't handle multiple instruments or voices (or, at least, not well at all). There is also software that will create written music from midi files. Again, it is not going to be accurate enough to result in playable sheet music -- it will require heavy editing to make it usable by musicians.

    What you are looking for simply does not exist at this time and, likely, will not exist any time soon. The technical name for what you're looking for is, "dictation," and even most highly trained musicians cannot do it 100% accurate in real time.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Southeast Florida
    Age
    64
    Posts
    4,635
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Rep Power
    4732883
    The 'software' you need is between your ears. Learn how to transcribe.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Austin TX and surrounding area
    Posts
    233
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    we are looking to transpose our original recorded rock songs to write sheet music for our marching band to play...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Austin TX and surrounding area
    Posts
    233
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    to transcribe one of our songs top sheet music for our brass section took 5 hours...6 horns, guitar, bass, drums...we have a few dozen songs....

    by the way we already know how to transcribe..

    check out chef's delight, a song we posted here and there on
    HomeRecording.com...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    576
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    3876713
    Quote Originally Posted by Manor Music View Post
    we are looking to transpose our original recorded rock songs to write sheet music for our marching band to play...
    Quote Originally Posted by Manor Music View Post
    to transcribe one of our songs top sheet music for our brass section took 5 hours...6 horns, guitar, bass, drums...we have a few dozen songs....

    by the way we already know how to transcribe..

    check out chef's delight, a song we posted here and there on
    HomeRecording.com...
    There is no single program that will do what you want, and no set of programs that will produce anything usable in less time than manual transcription. There are third-party programs that will transcribe an audio track into written notes -- I believe Finale and Sibelius both come with light versions of such software. I suppose you can try to transcribe one instrument part at a time, but you will still have to do considerable manual correction to get it accurate and correctly-notated. Though software like this is pretty good at detecting note pitch, and both Finale and Sibelius are very good at correct spelling of enharmonics, software in general is very bad at accurately detecting note duration.

    Any way you look at it, transcription takes time. You're not really going to gain anything by doing it programmatically.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    USA
    Age
    21
    Posts
    308
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    214756
    Quote Originally Posted by PTravel View Post
    There is no single program that will do what you want, and no set of programs that will produce anything usable in less time than manual transcription. There are third-party programs that will transcribe an audio track into written notes -- I believe Finale and Sibelius both come with light versions of such software. I suppose you can try to transcribe one instrument part at a time, but you will still have to do considerable manual correction to get it accurate and correctly-notated. Though software like this is pretty good at detecting note pitch, and both Finale and Sibelius are very good at correct spelling of enharmonics, software in general is very bad at accurately detecting note duration.

    Any way you look at it, transcription takes time. You're not really going to gain anything by doing it programmatically.
    You refer to the Audioscore program. This kind of software isn't cheap and you have to conclude that the algorithms that transcribe the songs are only so accurate (I foresee more editing and corrections). Too bad there weren't MIDI files scored out to start with, as they could easily be transposed. In any kind of DAW with scoring functions or any dedicated scoring program should make it a whole heck of a lot easier than scoring out the parts by hand. Yikes.
    Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Cubase Artist 7, Wavelab Elements 7, Asus R500a-RS52 Windows 8, Mackie MR5mk2 monitors, Superior Drummer, Melodyne Essential, Yamaha P35

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    918
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    322587
    As noted, no software can transcribe a whole band. Additional thoughts:

    - Software like Sibelius, or various cheaper products, are quicker and produce a nicer product than doing it manually, but they're like using a word processor instead of a pen ... they're not like using speech recognition software (at least not in this application).

    - As I'm sure you realize from transcribing one song, moving from a rock band to a marching band isn't a simple matter of transcription anyway: there's a fair bit of arranging involved. I suppose I can see how an automatic transcription - if possible - would have some value in quickly producing a working transcription that you would then use a starting point in arranging for traditional band instruments. But I don't think you'd be shortening a 5-hour project into an hour in any event.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Anybody want their sheet music turned to ''music''
    By Tapiwa in forum Song Writing & Composition
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-22-2011, 07:32
  2. Sheet Music
    By reich_fan in forum Keyboards and Sound Modules
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-27-2003, 13:58
  3. How to transpose on midi music recorcoded to cakewalk
    By Dave Frye in forum Cakewalk / Sonar Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-30-2000, 20:54
  4. SHEET MUSIC
    By SEANY-101 in forum Roland, Boss, VS Series Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-07-2000, 18:26

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •