Quote Originally Posted by rob aylestone View Post
Out of key to me means singing a note in tune, that is outside of the notes normally in the chosen key - so in E, a Bb instead of A is out of key, even if the Bb is in tune. Hitting nearly an A is out of tune. Small distinction in wording, but absolutely vital in meaning. Out of tune is pitchy. This is NOT in any sense the same thing as a Jazzer deliberately and loudly playing a note that isn't normally in the key of the song. That's a musical choice, good or bad.
When I write these posts, I copy the "pitchy", "out of key" from the emails I get from my ears. But, to keep it simple for me (key of C), what I'm talking about is if I'm playing or singing and I want to hit an "E", it will be a D#/Eb.

That's what confused me about this bass part, I watch my fingers, I know I'm hitting notes within the chords I'm playing and I was being told it's pitchy/wrong by my ears (not at this site). All but one (who believes pop music shouldn't contain dissonance) liked the part. The folks here thankfully helped clear that up, especially you THANKS. I guess I've never lost my punk rock roots.

On the subject of punch in. I don't think I've really done traditional drop ins for years now. I just go back three or far bars, hit record and join in, and find the groove. Then I'll find a perfect point in the two takes to make the join - a note or two ahead, or behind - just where there's a musically appropriate point. Rarely I've noted, on a beat, just in the gaps. I do this for practically every sound source now. Just so easy.
If you saw my Pro Tools files, you'd run away. I don't name anything, I just "know" what everything is. But, lately I've been naming tracks, and punching in, instead of keeping all the takes. So, my newer songs, have one take for each. I love destructive record. It just keeps what you need.

I feel my takes are done, when I can't hear the errors. When I can hear the errors I know it's BAD.
On the subject of learning - music theory can be learned as a totally non-musical task. A Deaf person can learn music theory. It's maths, and rules.
That's what truly bothers me. Because I understand that, and I'm great with math/rules. But, with music, it just doesn't sink in. When I play with no capo, I'm really really simple C-G-A-D are my main chords. Yet, I'll write a song, put it aside and a few weeks later I'll listen to the recording and have no idea what chords I'm playing, and it won't be 2 minutes to remember, it'll be an hour. It's friggin scary and infuriating. Because I do this for fun. That's not fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Toastedgoat View Post
I read that post, you asked for links or somewhere you could learn, I posted to one that I like. It's not to expensive, and covers a lot of ground.
There's an old expression, I don't have a pot to piss in. I don't even have the piss. I'm broker than broke. I've bought a few things years ago, and on my own, I just can't learn. I've tried youtube, and websites. Nothing seems to work. One day someone will point to the place that will break through. If not, there's "Hey am I playing in the right key?"