Pitchy Vocal?

Snowman999

This is the bass song with lead vocal added.

I melodyned one vocal 100% directly into the notes. Then duped that, and moved the notes a little off center and changed the vibrato.

Are these vocals ON? (not your preference. But, technically in tune) If there's any blaring errors (besides the song) please let me know.

I want to add backing vocals. But, adding out of tune on top of out of tune, probably won't work well.

Thanks.

Beautiful Demo Mix by Frances Farmer My Hero | Free Listening on SoundCloud

You came into my life
I want it to be known
Want it to be known
You set my heart a fire
I want it to be known
Want it to be known

Like summer rain
And winter snow
You're so...
Spring flowers
Meteor showers
You're so beautiful

You tore my world apart
I want it to be known
Want it to be known
I saw things I never saw
I want it to be known
Want it to be known

Like summer rain
And winter snow
You're so beautiful
Spring flowers
Meteor showers
You're so beautiful

repeat 1

Vocal have classy tuning at 44 1.21 1.30 1.36 2.42
guitar is odd at 1.49 1.59

The last chord is also out.

The section where you sign up an octave is much better sounding than the almost robotic treated lower sections? Is that treatment a special effect? If it is, fine, but it's mega weird!

Vocal have classy tuning at 44 1.21 1.30 1.36 2.42
guitar is odd at 1.49 1.59

The last chord is also out.

The section where you sign up an octave is much better sounding than the almost robotic treated lower sections? Is that treatment a special effect? If it is, fine, but it's mega weird!

You have an excellent set of ears. Seriously, it all flowed BEFORE you pointed out the times. Now, I hear it. The first two are me slurring "and winter" together.

I do have to ask, what is classy tuning mean? I imagine "out of tune", I've never heard it said like that before. I just looked it up and I can't find a definition.

I actually like the lower vocals better. It's warmer and fuzzy. Also, my voice just sucks, I find the first two easier on the ears.

Treatment? Not a clue. I added a little EQ and lots of reverb. This is a 10 minute mix to see if the lead vocal is a keeper. Apparently not.

Ha! I'm not sure what word I should have typed but autocorrect beat me - I think I just mean a bit dodgy. Sorry for the confusion on the word, but perhaps we've invented a new one? I really thought there was some kind of effect on the voice - it sounds a little bit robotic and kind of processed? I like the upper register version myself?

Ha! I'm not sure what word I should have typed but autocorrect beat me - I think I just mean a bit dodgy. Sorry for the confusion on the word, but perhaps we've invented a new one? I really thought there was some kind of effect on the voice - it sounds a little bit robotic and kind of processed? I like the upper register version myself?

Probably clashy. But, it's all good. I'm just curious, what kind of music do you listen to and create?

Hate it when people ask that one! We produce mainly show tracks - so at the moment we're working on old George Gershwin tracks for one client, a series of click tracks for a touring band who's keyboard player has lost the use of both hands due to illness, so we're tracking and clicking his keyboard parts - which means in practice he comes into the studio and plays his part and then I edit it to remove the wrong notes where his fingers can't do their thing any more - rather sad really as he's been in the band since the 80s! We do lots of live multitrack stuff, and pretty well anything that gets used on stage. We also do a bit of music for video, quite a bit of music for dance (as in ballet music) and what you would call backing tracks for horrendous sounding really blistering hard classical stuff - essentially play along tracks for people studying clarinet and flute at Diploma level, where they cannot afford a real pianist for rehearsing - so we do the accompaniment at varying tempo. Sort of flute karaoke. My recently played music list on Spotify is Alan Parsons, Pink Floyd, Mari Wilson (Disney Girls is my favourite) Supertramp. My usual music that I write is always slow, atmospheric and usually sad. I don't ever write fast songs, or guitar songs. Weird really!

Hate it when people ask that one! We produce mainly show tracks - so at the moment we're working on old George Gershwin tracks for one client, a series of click tracks for a touring band who's keyboard player has lost the use of both hands due to illness, so we're tracking and clicking his keyboard parts - which means in practice he comes into the studio and plays his part and then I edit it to remove the wrong notes where his fingers can't do their thing any more - rather sad really as he's been in the band since the 80s! We do lots of live multitrack stuff, and pretty well anything that gets used on stage. We also do a bit of music for video, quite a bit of music for dance (as in ballet music) and what you would call backing tracks for horrendous sounding really blistering hard classical stuff - essentially play along tracks for people studying clarinet and flute at Diploma level, where they cannot afford a real pianist for rehearsing - so we do the accompaniment at varying tempo. Sort of flute karaoke. My recently played music list on Spotify is Alan Parsons, Pink Floyd, Mari Wilson (Disney Girls is my favourite) Supertramp. My usual music that I write is always slow, atmospheric and usually sad. I don't ever write fast songs, or guitar songs. Weird really!

I think this kind of explains why you have such great ears.

I was once driving a singer to the studio to do backing vocals. I played "The Prisoner" by the Clash and told her I wanted backing vocals like these, and she said "flat and out of tune?" If it's good enough for the Clash... But, she did do the vocals completely in tune. I don't think it's possible for her not to be in tune.

You can learn this stuff if you practice and practice. My collaborator insists that tone deaf does not exist - but its simply that these people have not learned it yet. Maybe some people find pitch a naturally easy process, but other find it really tricky. My mate who is a piano tuner insists that they can train anyone to tune a piano, because it's not a music process, it's physics, and once you can identify the sound two similar but not exactly the same pitches make when they annoy each other - then you can tune a piano.

Back