Ok what is your favorite solo in a song - any era....

ido1957

9K Gold Member
Lots of discussion in the other thread about solos. Too many favorites to count but try and pick the first one that comes to mind.
Okay - Richie Blackmore - Smoke on the Water comes to mind...( I love his stuff even if it's overplayed)....

Eddie Cochran - Jeannie Jeannie Jeannie

and damn near anything by Brian Setzer. If I could play like him, I would.

Just about any of the solos on Dark Side Of The Moon or The Wall. Gives me goose pimples.

I really like the riff on "No One Like You" by the Scorpions. I don't know about the actual solo though.

Hocus Pocus - Focus
Burn - DP
Are You Receiving Me - Golden Earring... the whole damn song
Free World - Kirsty MacColl (actually Johnny Marr playing the solo...)
Stairway to Heaven - still does it to me too, probably because it was one of the first ones I learned as a young laddie
Third World Man - Steely Dan (Larry Carlton, I believe...)

to mention a few...

Year Of The Cat - Al Stewart
Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd
Stairway To Heaven - Zep
Hotel California - Eagles
Roller - April Wine
Sultans Of Swing - Dire Straits
Layla - Derek & The Dominos
Pride and Joy - SRV
I'd Love To Change The World - Ten Years After

I could go on and on.

But my all-time favorite:
The scorching menage a trois solos by those Lads From Liverpool - The End. I get a lump in my throat every time.

Alvin Lee was one of my all time favs. "Goin' Home" still gets me wet.
How about The Allman Brothers "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed"

There's simply no way I could name a favourite solo because I don't have one. I have a healthy regard for so many solos on so many different instruments.
But here's an unusual one ~ the most inventive use of tambourine I've ever heard {and it qualifies almost as a solo} comes, of all people, from Ian Gillan on Deep Purple's "Fireball". It's a great piece of playing.

Back