Music recognition/transcription software?

SouthSIDE Glen

independentrecording.net
Any recommendations on software that can analyze an audio file (not MIDI) and offer note-for-note transcription of the music, preferably in note/octave notation (e.g. "G4, A5#" etc.) rather than standard sheet music notation?

G.

Logic does an audio to midi conversion on a WAV or selected part of a WAV. Once you have the midi you can score it conventionally, or maybe in some other way.

However audio to midi depends highly on the source; Logic intreprets all sound on the WAV. If it was a vocal, it would include breath noises etc.

The conversion doesn't work with complex waves . . . e.g. a fully mixed section of a WAV. It works best with simple melodic lines.

I expect that there is more powerful interpretative software around. Maybe others will know.

The conversion doesn't work with complex waves . . . e.g. a fully mixed section of a WAV. It works best with simple melodic lines.
Yeah, I know I might be asking for the very bleeding edge of technology, but I figured with apps like the new Melodyne chord surgery capabilities, Digitech's chord follower, Pandora and the algorithms used by RealMeda and Verizon to recognize songs just by listening to them, that the tech should be there by now to do automatic transcription by wave analysis. It may not be absolutely perfect, but I figured if it could help get one at least partway home.

This is purely a personal need. I have a pretty long list of songs with various instrument solos that I'd like to transcribe to notes that I could then transcribe to Filisko charts for my harps. I can play harp siolos finee, but I find myself kinda getting into a rut of playing the same ol' groups of riffs all the time. I figure if I could transcribe a few guitar and keyboard solos and practice them, that I'd get some fresh ideas and patterns in my toolkit.

Until now, I've been transcribing or learning just be trying to copy the solo, figuring it out a note or two at a time, but you know how that can take time. I figure if the software got to the point where it could analyze the dominant solo/showcase instrument in a mix passage, It cold save a whole lot of time. (Yes, even I can be guilty of looking for shortcuts :( ).

G.

Back