most underated song writer

Del Amitri is a good call. I'll propose Robert Earl Keen (he's built a pretty solid house of songs over the years) and Michelle Shocked. The girl can spin a yarn.

Theron.

A big "Hell, yeah" goes out to the person who mentioned Neil Finn. He's underrated on this side of the globe, anyway. A lot of these people are really famous songwriters, though!

I think that the most underrated songwriter ever is... Simon LeBon. Or the duo of Nick Rhodes and Simon LeBon, if you prefer.

robbie robertson of the band...excellent melodies, crative, crafted arrangements, great lyrics...have a listen to any of the band's better albums...music from the big pink, the band, stage fright...top notch songwriting all the way

1. Neil Finn
2. Dave Dobbyn
3. Michael Penn

I saw someone list Neil Finn earlier. He heads up my top 3. However, it may not be fair to describe him as "underated." I think in songwriting circles he is considered a songwriter's songwriter. He and his brother, Tim, both were made Order of the British Empire for their contribution to the arts by the Queen of England and the guy is a biggest of fish in a small pond of pacific rim artists. Thus, perhaps is best described as one of the greatest songwriters that a vast majority of the unwashed masses has no clue exists. As for Dave Dobbyn, though he is well known and respected in New Zealand, the secret and critical acclaim has yet to eminate from the U.S.

There are so many, and I agree with most of the choices already posted, but I would add the following writers:

Steve Fromholz, Eric Taylor, and Iris Dement. Two writers who have received much critical acclaim, but have been commercially ignored by the genral music-buying public are Guy Clark and the late Townes Van Zandt.

Since I already mentioned, Chris Shauffer as one of my favorites, I'll not mention him again.

I would like to add, drstrawl.
The man has some damn good jazz recording laying around.
Honorable mention goes to
Macle,
B. Sabbath,
J. Marcomb
Theron, and many others right here on this bbs.

I'm so out of it on what all the recording artists write cuz all I listen to is home recorded music.

The talent around places like this and collaboration central etc is really great.
I tip my hat to all of you, whether I mentioned you or not.

Most of you guys here are US bound, so you probably dont know much of them but:

Guy Chambers & Robbie Williams

Guy writes all the songs, and robbie puts lyrics annd melodies over the top.

3 Number 1 albums in the UK in 3 years, over a broad base of songs.....acoustic, rock, jazz, folk....... Best Songwriting duo to come out of the UK since Bernie Taupin and Elton John.

Oh, and lodang? - Ringo Starr?....rofl.....

hats off to those who mentioned John Haitt, Guy Clark and Steve Goodman--oh, and Willie Dixon. All amazing.

I must put a push for Robert Earl Keen. He was college buddies with Lyle Lovette and has come a long way in writting.... I dig his shit. Tom Waits can't be considered "underrated", can he? I havn't read the entire thread but, does Roger Waters get his just do for being the most honest?

dajuan, If you don't dig the blues, you don't know W.D. I'm a Hoochie Coochie Man!!!!!!!

Badgas, Thanks for the mention. That was the biggest suprise I've had since being on the board!!:)

theron.

Wow, badgas!

I had totally missed this thread until you mentioned it over in the clinic. Those are some feel good comments back there at the beginning of the thread! Thanks!

If that doesn't give me a big head I don't know what will...

;)

And I'll put in my vote for Dead Can Dance. Lisa Gerard and Brent Perry put out some wonderful stuff. Its too bad the goth crowd latched onto them in the States.

Take care,
Chris

Ben Folds...and Dave Matthews when he's not forced by his record company to trash the album he recorded and do another one with some pop producer. (although I still liked the album, his older stuff is better)

That's pretty common, MusicMan.
I know people and music evolve and change. But most artists seem to be at their best in the beginning of their carreer, then the record comp CEOs have to get into the picture and the whole style changes.

They have to sound like everyone else I guess, when it's their own unique sound that got them noticed.

Agreed....I also like a local band called Knee Deep Shag...combines 80's rock (like REO, Boston) with a twist of funk (i.e. george clinton). You can check out there website. www.kneedeepshag.com and no I'm not in the band...lol...check out the soundclips on their webpage.

MM25

I listened to a few of the clips.
I like them. The mixes are really well done.
Did they record themselves?

Back