Leonard Cohen on Songwriting

TAE

All you have is now
One of my muses in songwriting ever since I was mesmorized by Susan some 50 years ago...

There is a facebook page HERE that has a bunch of snippets of interviews with him on the dodgy subject...

Below is one of several there

I've always had songs going on in my head since I was a little kid.

Though my Mom never actually played an instrument other than her voice, she had the "gift" of songwriting and made up and sang childrens songs for her kids and grandkids..

Below is a didly she made up and would sing for one of my nephews

The fishies wash the dishes
The doggy scrubs the floor
The Horsey does the vacuming
And the cow has to stay out doors

Poor cow
Moo moo

The music "out of thin air" that I heard in my mind as a kid was more classical / symphonic
When I started learning to play the keys @ 16 ( by ear ) I was influenced by folk and rock and the songs that "came" were usually in that vein...

Lyrics came and still come more often than not from an event or emotional experience that moves me..Tragedy, Love, Hate, Death , God, Politics etc... how the lyrics or melodies come about and assemble, like Leonard says is not really something you can put your finger on or just turn on...though it can be forced...it always seems the best stuff just happens when it happens..

Big fan of Mr. Cohen.
You know the full album is available to stream? I think I read it's a temporary thing ahead of its release.

kateri2b.jpg

One of my muses in songwriting ever since I was mesmorized by Susan some 50 years ago...

You mean "Suzanne"? Perhaps the spell isn't as strong as you think? :laughings:

Gotta tell ya, as a young guy with a deep voice and an acoustic guitar, Mr Cohen was a godsend for me ... :D I could melt women (who are his biggest fans) from across the room. ;)

Love Leonard Cohen... i think he deserves the nobel price as well (maybe even more than Bob Dylon)...his new record is great

Back